Is GoPro Hero3 black a good camera for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mykuki

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone, I'm doing research on what camera to buy my husband for his bday. He got his 1st cert in Sept @ Riviera Maya and he really enjoys diving. A friend suggested the GoPro and the owner of our local scuba store suggested the Sealife DC1400. I like that the gopro can be hands free and I haven't done much research on the sealife yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. IMO a gopro is an excellent beginner video camera primarily due to low cost versus high quality. The video is very good. The new gopro sounds like it is even better. It does take stills but if stills are the primary use it may not be what you are after.

Stano

don't don't don't get the Sealife.............very poor quality video results,

Sealife may be "equal" in photo quality, and may be a little more user friendly, but really you should get the gopro for both diving AND above water work.

The GoPro Black might be overkill, the Silver version does also produce great quality video (or even a Hero2 with the Dive Housing). If he is into video, editing and the such, maybe the Hero3 then is a better option (more flexibility in editing, etc.).

Before getting a camera, make sure he is comfortable enough diving before adding one more thing to worry about underwater. On my last dive there were two guys that were so worried about their brand new cameras that never adjusted their trim and kept kicking the reef. As a side note, my personal opinion is that headmounted/chestmounted/armmounted diving videos with the GoPro are TERRIBLE, go ahead and get (or make) a tray or pole.

I second Toozler. I got a sealife camera when I was first certified and quickly realized it was dangerous. I got so involved in the camera that I lost some focus on basic diving issues, buoyancy, depth etc.

Comparing the Sealife to a GoPro is something of a stretch. the Sealife is a still camera that also takes video. The GoPro is a video camera that also takes stills. On my dive shop sponsored trips, people with Sealife cameras occasionally take video. The results are nowhere near the quality (color wise) I see with a GoPro equipped with a red filter. Both cameras do quite well at their primary tasks. (I have also taken some great stills with the GoPro.) One significant advantage of the Sealife over the GoPro is that the Sealife will zoom in both photo and video modes. The GoPro will not.

Bottom line, if you want stills go with a Sealife with a strobe. If you want video, go with the GoPro. For a new diver, my opinion is that video represents somewhat less diversion than a still camera but this may be do to my Sealife being an earlier DC600 and automatic esposure is not as advanced as it is with today's models.

I also believe it also takes longer to play with video to get something you are willing to share than with stills.

Having shot around the house with a GoPro for a few days, I'd say one thing for a beginning underwater shooter to consider is the LCD attachment option. If you're just getting started with respect to framing, composition, exposure, etc., not having the LCD is akin shooting and developing film - you don't get the instant feedback to adjust your usage, and you miss the opportunity to retake shots on the spot. Considering how infrequently most people dive, that's a lot of time added to the learning curve.

I cant speak for Gopro, as i have yet to use one, but all teh shots in my gallery were taken with a Sealife 1400

Yes,

I love my Go Pro 2 and will get the hero3...any camera adds to distraction so he needs to make sure he is a solid diver #1 and a photo bug #2. Called task loading.

Any model GoPro series 3 will be ideal for beginner to professional. They are simple easy to use with an abundant of accessories to suit virtually any application

A GoPro is not a camera is a device to record video, the sealife instead is a still camera designed for photography that is very easy to use

If your husband wants to take video the GoPro is the best entry level if instead he wants to take pictures there are many choices of which the Sealife is one but not the only one

For what concerns hands free that is not a good idea unless you want to be seasick every time you watch one of your video. If you want to produce something near to decent you need to hold the rig firmly with a good tray and handle set

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom