Is GoPro Hero3 black a good camera for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just downgraded/returned the black to the white because after further research and using it for a couple days I found it was overkill for a beginner diver and videographer. Not only that, I also found that my PCs at home were struggling terribly to even play the 1080 res and fast frame rates. I did loose some options and the low light is not as good on the white but for what I will try to use it for and for 200 bucks cheaper this will work fine. I will better spend my money on a tray, handles and filter. Black is cresting that prosumer level. Side note, I had the original GoPro and have used that for car autox and track days so this will be a nice upgrade from that "relic" :)

Intova Pro video camera has the benefit of an active video display making it easier to center video and still shots. I mounted one on my hand held light for ease of use.

Attachments

• with difuser.jpg
    with difuser.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 154
  • light mount.jpg
    light mount.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 170
Make sure he is comfortable diving in all expected conditions... Having any size camera to worry about in rough seas is a burden for a novice.

does he want to take photos or video?

i decided to buy the Hero 3 Silver over upgrading my underwater still camera because of the cost $$$ and size of the rig. GoPro is both cheaper an smaller (in my case).

a gopro can be easily mounted on mask, chest strap, or held on a short handle or pole. Add an underwater filter and you can get pretty good results. Trays and lights extend the capabilities of the camera but also get pricey.

if you get the gopro my suggestions are these: Silver Edition w/ LCD bacpac (the black version is overkill for anyone but a pro... And if you have an Android/iPhone the free App replaces the $79 wifi remote); a gopole / wrist mount / chest mount; and an underwater filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom