Is GUE Fundies right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the nice things about doing Fundies fairly early in one's diving career is not having the reaction Bob describes -- he was already an instructor, I believe, by the time he took the class. I had 60 dives and knew the class would be challenging and I wouldn't do well . . . I was actually pleased at the things I WAS able to manage!

I've been watching this thread since it started and have started a response a few times without finishing it. Anyway... I am sure that some people are going to disagree with me, or get irritated with me about the following, but... i guess if everyone agrees with you all the time, you aren't being true to yourself. :)

I have seen a downside to Fundies. Let me be clear - I am a strong supporter of GUE; I took Fundies myself, more than once, with the sole purpose of becoming of better diver (and somehow ended up going down the cave and tech path, both, with GUE - never say never LOL). At any rate, I am a huge proponent of the class, and recommend it highly... but every time I see blanket endorsements about the class it makes me cringe. If you look hard, you will find threads where people did not have great experiences - and it's not just sour grapes for not passing classes. That is simply a fact.

Anyway... I have come to believe that if it is at all possible, it is optimal to take primer before fundies, regardless of level of exposure to this type of diving, unless one has been working with a GUE instructor. At this point, I have talked with several people who have gone on to take fundies, some of them with a significant amount of exposure to this kind of diving, and each of them who took primer first (either a drysuit primer, or a regular primer) expressed a strong appreciation that they did. See below for my thoughts from another thread...if you follow the link, one of the people I'm referencing actually chimed in on the thread.

A NEW divers view on GUE Fundamentals

katepnatl:
Recently I've participated in (video'ed) a Primer class that included two very experienced divers who were both planning on moving forward to take Fundies. These two divers were both full cave and each had some mix training, as well as varying levels of exposure to DIR diving. Some people questioned at least one of the student's reasoning behind taking Primer. I didn't. Taking Primer stacked the deck in these divers' favor. The more they worked through prior to Fundies, the more they would learn IN Fundies. At some point during Fundamentals, even the most experienced divers can reach a saturation point. If some of the learning occurs prior to the Fundies class, then the student can go absorb that much more in the Fundamentals class - whether it is fine-tuning skills or learning brand new ones.

So, I heartily recommend Primer, unless someone has been actively mentored by individuals who definitely know what they are doing, or by the GUE community such as they have in the Pacific NW. The two I was referencing above did not NEED Primer by any means, but they both agreed they were glad they took it. For new divers, or "new to GUE" divers, the exposure to the propulsion techniques and buoyancy/trim concepts taught in Primer, allows for refinement of those skills in Fundies as well as bandwidth for new skill acquisition. Of course I would not go so far as to say it people can't have a great experience going straight to Fundies - look to this class report as an example! But I do think as a general rule, if it's possible from a time and money perspective, Primer should be considered, if at all possible. ... I do think a lot of people (more than is understood) take classes like Primer, Essentials, and Fundies to become better recreational divers. I know that was my motivation*.

One of the nice things about doing Fundies fairly early in one's diving career is not having the reaction Bob describes -- he was already an instructor, I believe, by the time he took the class. I had 60 dives and knew the class would be challenging and I wouldn't do well . . . I was actually pleased at the things I WAS able to manage!

Yup ... I had almost 1000 dives by then, and considered myself a pretty skilled diver.

Lamont was one of my dive buddies. He had something like 25 dives at the time, and did way better than I did ... he had less to "unlearn" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Kate,

If I ever take fundies, it will be because of you and your honest assessments.

Best.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

Been hanging in a 4 degree Centigrade pool for way too long.

4 wings and two backplates, 16 combinations (with up-down shifts). Three different sets of doubles, do the math. Beginning to see the light. Once I can hang in trim, everything else is stupidly simple. Getting damn close.

Nobody (no agency) REALLY attends to hanging in trim, do they? -you need an unpaid mentor to get you ready for the formal class. -which is why I won't play the game.

Catch 22.

Sorry.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom