Is Halcyon worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and my instructor told my that the Halcyon single is a little more easier to control than the OxyCheq for a newbie like me since the wing is a little wider and slightly bigger. For more experinece divers out there, there won't be a problem.

Happy diving.

This comment made me smile. So what happens after you've been diving your wing for a little while and you are now proficient? Do you dump it for an OxyCheq wing? :)

Mat.

If you are stuck on Halcyon then go for the $595 special, however IMO the DSS is a better setup for less $$$.

I paid about $100 for my BP with a STA, $150 for an OMS 30# donut wing, $35 for a new harness, and I think about $50 for SS CAM/Bands. That's a damn good setup for under $350, and the wing was used once (everything else was new).

I really like the Oxycheq wings even if I don't own one.

alright, i just talked to him again, he'll sell me a brand new setup. eclipse 30# for 595.

thoughts? good deal? should i do it?

Not that great of a deal to me (although we still don't know exactly what is included). That is only slightly less than new, and with a new one you get a warranty. I have nothing against used stuff, but if I am buying used I like to see more of a price break than that. If it were $495 or less, that would be a much better deal.

Not that great of a deal to me (although we still don't know exactly what is included). That is only slightly less than new, and with a new one you get a warranty. I have nothing against used stuff, but if I am buying used I like to see more of a price break than that. If it were $495 or less, that would be a much better deal.

Congrads on your 1000th post! :D

I just went to Deep Sea Supply's website, and a single tank setup with SS BP and the 35 lb Torus wing (which is more expensive than the LCD 30, I believe) is $465. Personally, I do not think the Halcyon gear offers $130 more quality or value.

I bought my eclipse setup a few years back, new, for less than what you've posted here.

Go and get the DSS setup. You won't be disappointed.

I bought my eclipse setup a few years back, new, for less than what you've posted here.

Go and get the DSS setup. You won't be disappointed.

Even though I own a Halcyon today... next one I buy will likely be the DSS... :)

That is for what?
  • 30 pound wing
  • hog harness
  • backplate (SS or aluminum)
  • single tank adapter
Does not sound like that good a deal unless there is some other stuff in there.

Mat.

I think the price does include a slight premium for the Halcyon name. If it is important enough to matter depends partly on how much you value your time.

Of course if the harness has blue H's all over it that would be a deal breaker for me.

I have the exact configuration TSandM mentioned above except that I replaced the hard nylon webbing harness of DSS with a soft webbing harness by DiveRite for easy donning, and absolutely love it. That DSS setup does not require an STA (b/c of the Torus wing's design) and so you have to do minor alignment work to properly align a tank with the plate. But once the tank is properly set, it is very stable. I like the comfort of the DSS plate due to its shallow structure as opposed to Halcyon's plate that has a deeper recess. (I noted this structural difference between the two plates when I tried to attach my BP with the Halcyon tank band for doubles. ... I needed much longer threaded rods to attach the DSS BP with the Halcyon tank band holding double AL80s. I needed to order appropriate sized rods through Boltdepo or something.) But because of that, I don't think you can use Halcyon's utility pocket designed to be inserted between your back and the Halcyon BP with the DSS BP. That doesn't bother me, because I don't plan to store anything between my back and the BP....

I echo Mr. Carchadoron that blue H's don't look good although I owned Halcyon's Evolve 60 wing and p-valve, both of which were very well made and I love them....

just my 2 cents.

I have 200 dives this year on a DSS S/S plate and the 27lb torus wing and have one sitting in customs for my wife once its released...! The DSS is of excellant quality, wears very well and I would buy one again if mine were to disappear. This is not to say anything bad about any other system but the DSS sold me first on how its constructed and what its made of, 2nd from watching several people dive with them and now I am a loyal user who will with any luck stay a user.

I am sure someone out there knows but I believe the DSS uses a slightly thicker bladder as a standard as well as a thicker external material. The plate with the molded inserts to protect the harness is another very nice feature that is unique. Any one you buy will be a quality unit so you probably wont go wrong with whatever you choose...

Back
Top Bottom