Is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for me the difference is do i see a newbie that is a uncordinated and clumsy or do i see a person that is in general a pita in day to day stuff (like agro driving or just slap happy in general) and do i want to be in a confined space and dependant on them. the first type of diver i can work with, the 2nd i avoid

Well said. We were all newbies once and we hopefully are better divers now. :D Some people pick up on things quicker than others while others are just jerks (IMHO) and you just want to steer clear of them.

It is dangerous to look at anyone at any point in his or her life and make an absolute assumption about the future.

A couple of years ago I was working with a class in which a female student started off by completing the swimming requirement in a beautiful crawl that she could have continued far longer than required. She completed the rest of the OW course with ease and grace.

I was thus surprised to learn that less than a year earlier she had nearly drowned in panic while taking a Discover Scuba class. If there was ever someone with whom you would vow never to dive, it was she. She had been so humiliated by her absolute incompetence that she had immediately signed up for swimming lessons, and in no time at all she was someone with whom you would be happy to dive any time.

just keep that sixth sense about you - you'll need it when you go on dives. you'll learn to watch for other divers that may not be assembling their gear correctly or seem skiddish before they get in the water...if you are just OW you will not want to be buddied up with them. As a DM, I look for these divers and try to assist nonchalantly...sometimes they accept help, sometimes they dont. I always hope that I dont have to rescue their stubborn butt later.

I had 12 people in my class. All of them were nice and we all passed the course. One of them got scared in the spring and decided that diving was not for her. But I would dive with all of them again if I needed a buddy.

I had one other person in my OW class that I would never dive with. Not because she was akward or needed more time being wet or anything like that. She had her doctorate and because of this she would make comments to the effect she was smarter then everyone else, yet she could never grasp the information. Actually she never truely tried hard enough when studying in my opinion. She was also the kind of person that expected everyone to do everything for her and that is the kind of person who gets themselves into trouble but cant get themselves out.

I didn't find this in OW but, I have met a few loud mouth types on dive boats that I wouldn't want to dive with.

Is it just me or do some of you feel the same way? I'm going through my OW class and started thinking to myself "There is no way I would want to dive with XXXXX in my class" I'm sure there may be some that are thinking the same thing about me and I know they are doing and completing the same skills I am.... but....

No....

I never considered my buddy high on the list of things that I was counting on to safely complete a dive. My buddy was a resource to be sure but I considered myself independent to a large extent.

There were a number of divers in my circle of buddies that started in the same year. Everyone found skill, grace and inner peace at their own rate but 3 summers latter I'd make any dive with any of them.

It's the ones that don't dive with any frequency that you need to worry about.

Pete

I am a total newbie. Even though it shouldn't...threads like this make me nervous about going out to get more experience. I know I am making mistakes, but it is really hectic your first few dives and I did forget a couple of steps (like holding my left arm in place and then giving the ok after stepping off the boat). But, I know to do them after making a mistake. My instructor and the DM on the boat just reminded me what to do for the next dive.

Maybe I just haven't seen what people are talking about on this thread. But, everyone was new at this when they first started. People shouldn't forget what it was like.

I am a total newbie. Even though it shouldn't...threads like this make me nervous ......

Hopefully threads like this will help others to think more about what they are doing and plan their dive more efficiently.

In the example of doing a giant stride off the boat - you can do a walkthru of the steps required in your head before even getting up. It can help you remember all the steps when you actually do the entry. Its easier to remember the steps sitting down than actually doing it - something about DM saying hurry up, everybody clustering around you impatiently, trying to put mask on and get gear together, maintain your balance, put fins on, etc. etc. - somehow doing all these things are not conducive to clear thinking.

Maybe I just haven't seen what people are talking about on this thread. But, everyone was new at this when they first started. People shouldn't forget what it was like.
I really like this statement! What are you doing to retain this knowledge or memories? I would suggest think about this statement when entering dives into your logs! I wish I had thought more about this statement when I was logging my first dives!

This thread is not about newbies (at least I don't think it is) Its about divers who appear to be dangerous to themselves and to those around them.

There is a difference!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom