Is it just me.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been on SB a number of years but it seems that this year there have been an inordinate number of deaths and accidents to exceed the previous years.

What's up??

According to what I have read, the US averages about 94 scuba deaths per year, and has for the last decade. I only heard about one or two a year before I joined Scuba Board, now I know about people dying all over the world. Isn't the internet wonderful?

I knew this diver personally (neighbors) though I have never been on a dive with him. I know he did a lot of oil rig diving off of TX and seemed, from what we would talk about, to be very experienced. Hopefully the USCG investigation will reveal what happened and [I'm praying] offer the family some kind of peace/closure. FYI: I specifically posted a passing thread in hopes to find divers out "there" who know him & might want to share condolences with his family. Thanks.

I have been on SB a number of years but it seems that this year there have been an inordinate number of deaths and accidents to exceed the previous years.

What's up??

Recently, there seems to have been more than normal...but that will happen. I suspect that the coverage on the board has gotten better also, so we know about more of them, with far more detail...

Perhaps that is good... but it does make one aware of far more cases and the humans behind what has happened.

What's up??
Lobster mini-season in Florida. The most deadly 2 days in diving.

A few years ago it seemed like there was a huge surge in the number of shark attacks. It turns out that all that was going on is more reporting of the attacks and the normal was actually a bit lower than average. The same thing may be happening with scuba fatalities --- you are just hearing about more of them rather than the actual number going up. We won't know for another 18 months or so when DAN's compilation of accidents for 2008 gets released.

No more than usual here. Average is 16-19 deaths per year and its looking so far to be about that by the time it ends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom