Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now this is an olde thread but let me be very blunt:

As a former lifeguard and recent beginner scuba diver I have to say I find all agencies requirements cited here grossly negligent to say the least, and any attempt to circumnavigate even these minimum requirements bordering on beyond the pale.

To even consider any activity that by it`s very nature means to immerse oneself in a body of water far beyond ones ability to stand in without the ability to handle that situation without some aides is mind boggling to me - let alone the fact that this might mean getting unto boats, jetty's etc.

If you can't swim - and I mean really swim - on your own, without failure prone equipment, for extended durations of time - get away from water!!!

CMAS used to do a swimming test for their OWD equivalent up to the 80's that consisted of a One Mile surface swim in full Scuba gear plus an accent from 80 feet without a BC incl. a 3min safety stop at 5min (w/o a BC). That`s proficiency in water. Can´t do it? Don´t dive...learn to swim.

This thread scares to s***t out of me. I will never ever trust an insta-buddy ever!

Before I can put a student on scuba they need to complete a 200 yd surface swim, 50ft underwater swim, and a 10 minute tread. To get the card they must have done 300 yd swim, 50 ft uw swim, 15 minute tread, with no aids other than swim goggles, and a 200 yd snorkel swim with 4 different kicks and a min of one surface dive every 25 yds. Headfirst and feet first dives. If you cannot swim I cannot allow you in the class. I agree if you cannot swim you have no business in the water. Parents who allow their kids around water without teaching them to swim are guilty of neglect. If they let them in the water it is child endangerment and possibly abuse.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't dive with someone who couldn't swim, for me it's too much of a risk factor one I'm not willing to take. Sure when all's going well maybe no problem but when things go wrong, and sometimes they do, and swimming is required then what happens? It's not just that I may have to assist my buddy but they might have to assist me. As others have said learn to swim. Good luck.

If you don´t know how to swim at all I think it´s really dangerous to even think about diving. If you don´t even now how to kick your self up to the surface....I can´t even imagine my self putting on all my diving gear and jump down in a lake or sea somewhere if I didn´t even know the basics of swimming.
The thought is more then terrifying...

My advice is that you first learn how to swim on a course or something..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom