Is It Possible to Dive Grand Cayman on a Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy it is a valid very good comparison.

I can probably do Grand Cayman cheaper than most because I know the island very well.

I posted some inexpensive lodging which can help bring cost down.

Turtle Nest Inn
Does not include meals but this is total price NOT person.
Shore diving is available on Island with average cost of $12. per tank
Turtle Nest Inn Grand Cayman
Kathy has stayed here she can give you unbiased details of the facilities etc..
Turtlenestinn.net

EED, as you know, we love TNI and we are heading there for the 5th time soon and can hardly wait! One thing that you didn't mention is that there is great snorkeling right outside the door!

The reason I selected CCV and CC for my comparison was because I haven't stayed at either of them and therefore would be less likely to be biased. Also, because food is included in the prices and that made the comparison easier.

But as you have demonstrated, there are other lower budget options in the Caymans!

Last edited:
From Cobalt Coast's website, Vacation Packages, copied & pasted just now:

"The Treasured Dream Package - Starting at $2,415.00*
Valid travel January 1 - December 31, 2016

• 7 Nights Accommodation
  • FAP Meal Plan
  • 12 Boat Dives
  • 5 Drinks Daily
  • Complimentary Unlimited Shore Diving
  • Airport Ground Transfers
  • Free Use of Dive Computer
  • Free Welcome Rum Punch
  • Manager's Cocktail Reception
The Grand Getaway Package - Starting at $2,064.00*
Valid travel January 1 - December 16, 2016

• 7 Nights Accommodation
  • FAP Meal Plan
  • 12 Boat Dives
  • 5 Drinks Daily
  • Free Welcome Rum Punch
The North Wall Package - Starting at $1,724.00*
Valid travel January 1 - December 16, 2016

• 7 Nights Accommodation
  • MAP Meal Plan
  • 12 Boat Dives
  • Free Welcome Rum Punch
The Tranquil Retreat Package - Starting at $1,405.00*
Valid travel July 30 - October 29, 2016

• 7 Nights Accommodations
  • MAP Meal Plan
  • 12 Boat Dives
  • Free Welcome Rum Punch
  • Manager's Cocktail Reception"
I don't see an explanation about FAP vs. MAP here, so I googled. Some site I have no prior knowledge of called Grand World Travel has this to say about the definitions of those terms:

"Modified American Plan (MAP) – The quoted rate includes two meals a day, including breakfast and either lunch or dinner. In the Modified American plan, these meals are provided by the hotel dining room. Travelers choosing a hotel in a remote location where there are not many restaurants — or none at all — need to stay at a hotel that offers at least a Modified American plan. Meals plans typically do not include wine or cocktails."

Didn't see FAP used, so stumbled across a site called Acronym Finder, and they say:

"FAP stands for Full American Plan (three meals per day plan in accommodations)"

In Cobalt Coast's case, seems like when you look at the above packages with FAP, you also get 5 free alcoholic drinks/day. I don't drink, so that's no value to me. Someone who drinks might consider otherwise. CocoView's website indicates alcoholic drinks are not included in the meal plan.

Further digging on the Cobalt Coast website indicates no mention of the 13% tax on the package page I copied from, but one one of the vacation accommodations pages, it says:

"Room Rates are quoted per room per night and are subject to 13% Government Room Tax and 10% Service Charge. When purchased directly from Cobalt Coast Dive Resort the nightly room rate may include daily made to order fresh breakfast (or breakfast buffet) for 2 (ocean room or one-bedroom suite) or up to 4 (two-bedroom suite). Room rates may be quoted without daily breakfast ("cash breakfast")."

So, has the 13% government room tax been figured into those vacation package prices already? If not, will it be for the package total, or just the portion that's for the room, not the food or diving? How does that 10% service charge work? Is the 10% service charge a mandatory tip? Do we figure room charges assuming a +23% added cost?

Richard.

P.S.: Interesting thread!

Also there are 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath condos which can accommodate 2 couples for $1099. per week plus a $20. per night surcharge for additional over 2 people.so that would be $1399. for lodging which includes a car for 4 people. then of course diving and food.

Diving is about $100. per 2 tank boat dive

13% is Govt. tax on the room and I believe it should only be levied on room expense......that is mandatory........ the 10% is probably just their charge for whatever

Richard, When I was getting quotes for our upcoming trip I asked about adding daily lunch to the cheapest MAP plan at Cobalt Coast, turning it into a FAP plan (but no drinks) and that is the price I used for the comparison. So yes, it did include 3 meals per day, I am certain of that.

And if you wanted one of their other plans but didn't want to include the drinks or something, I'm pretty sure that they would accommodate your request and give you an adjusted price.

When we have stayed at the other Tibbetts family resorts CBBR and LCBR, the advertised package price always included the 13% government tax and the hotel service charges - but not the tips for the dive staff. That is again true for our upcoming trip back to CBBR and I am almost certain that it was the case when I was checking the prices for CCGCR. Of course, you can always give additional tips to hotel staff that provide great service.

The advertised package price for Coco View did not include the 19% government tax so I had to add that in; I don't know about the hotel staff tips at CCV.

Last edited:
Kathy when are you going ? I may be on island in December.

We are heading there soon, late Oct and early November - but it sure would be nice to be in Cayman in December!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom