Is It Possible to Dive Grand Cayman on a Budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really interested in Little Cayman resort but in all the pictures I see, it looks like a ton of reef grass in the water at the beach. Really like to swim and wade, but not in grass. Anyone have experience with the grass?

The shallows are sand and turtle grass. Not ideal for wading but not awful. You could go in off the end of the dock but would need to watch out for the boat traffic. I guess that is why the pool gets so much action in the afternoons.

Really interested in Little Cayman resort but in all the pictures I see, it looks like a ton of reef grass in the water at the beach. Really like to swim and wade, but not in grass. Anyone have experience with the grass?

For sandy shallows that are great for wading, splashing, and swimming - staying on Grand Cayman's Seven Mile Beach would be the best option, the beach and the water are amazing. And there are many fine dive ops and excellent diving available. I think the diving at Little Cayman is even better, but GC has very good diving and some nice wrecks.

LCBR also has a dive well in the center of the doc for training classes that can be used for swimming when there isn't anything else going on, see the picture below.

lcbr_divepier.jpg

Last edited:
Dive well? Linen Tibbets old fishing boat mooring. There are often a few tarpon under the dock and an occasional nurse shark. I will occasionally paddle around in there with a mask and snorkel when bored.

GC and LC are completely different islands. IMO, diving much better on LC but there are no people, no traffic and nothing to do; which suits me just fine.

For sandy shallows that are great for wading, splashing, and swimming - staying on Grand Cayman's Seven Mile Beach would be the best option, the beach and the water are amazing. And there are many fine dive ops and excellent diving available. I think the diving at Little Cayman is even better, but GC has very good diving and some nice wrecks...

The shallows are sand and turtle grass. Not ideal for wading but not awful. You could go in off the end of the dock but would need to watch out for the boat traffic. I guess that is why the pool gets so much action in the afternoons.

@Matt B what did you decide? Did you find a place with a great beach and sandy wading and swimming and also good diving?

Back
Top Bottom