Is it reef trash or habitat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
I know a lot of junk was blow in over the last couple of weeks, but clearly a lot wasn't... this weekend we picked up bottles, plastics, cans and stuff that couldn't be identified.

At the trash can I was thinking that something might be LIVING in that beer can I just tossed! And the Bacardi bottle would make a great glass house for anything small enough to crawl inside (after removing the pour spout that is).

So in your opinion, should we be cleaning up reef trash that couild be habitat on shore dives or not?

Good question.

I always try to pick up fishing line, weights, other garbage like that, but with bottles, I only pick them up if they look new (no growth). If they are encrusted, or I can't actually see that they are empty, I leave them... eventually they will be part of the reef.

I have never done the reef cleanup dive for Ocean Fest, but I wonder how they work that... I would think they just pick up everything, but not sure.

Thats a really good question. I think I am leaning towards Joe's thoughts with regards to removal of new looking stuff, but if its already inhabited I wouldnt. Anything else would be if it appeared to be hazardous to people or wildlife by leaving it, i.e. would I cause more damage to the reef by unwrapping the monophilament than it is causing by being there, and are fishes and divers being hung up in it, etc..

If it looks new I do pick it up and trash it after a dive. I did do the Dania Pier clean up for Oceanwatch just this past June and will do it again next year. I had a lot of fun and meeting new divers.

Mike, Lets get a bunch of divers and head out somewhere for a beach dive or something like that one day or weekend. the only thing is that everyone needs to supply their nets to put trash in during a dive..

:wink: =-) :eek:

showboat once bubbled... SNIP... Mike, Lets get a bunch of divers and head out somewhere for a beach dive or something like that one day or weekend. the only thing is that everyone needs to supply their nets to put trash in during a dive..:wink: =-) :eek:
I love it - just moving in on Hibiscus and you offer to come clean up my front yard! By all means, Dan, let's do it! Of course, some of the trash is LOST nets lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom