Is it safe for me to fly? I really need to get home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like the OP actually knows the answer to his question (don't fly), but is hoping he is wrong.
He is not wrong.
And if he does not have DAN accident insurance, he is even more wrong.

Some years back, there were long discussions on these boards about whether is was POSSIBLE to have decompression illness while obeying all deco limits on your dive computer. Obviously, it happens to some divers. Other divers violate the guidelines and do not have DCI. Personnaly, I stay well within the decompression limits. Will flying without waiting 18 hours always result in DCI. Almost certainly not. But if you get DCI and it is severe, you could disrupt the flight with adverse consequences to many other people. It is a bit like driving drunk, you might get away with it. But if something goes wrong other people pay the price.

Don’t ask me. I dive and fly same day nearly every time :)

But I follow navy guidelines and manage my own altitude.

It's an expensive mistake, but you don't want to mess around with DCI. Change your flight to at least 8 a.m.

Just wanted to change up the temp and nature of the question at this point. Let’s say that I do fly. Post an 18 hour wait after 2 dives, and most recently 12 hours on a single dive. Would could actually happen to me? Could I get permanent damage anywhere? Or would these things subside with time

Let’s say that I do fly. Post an 18 hour wait after 2 dives, and most recently 12 hours on a single dive.
It is the series of dives that counts, not the time since the most recent dive. So you are looking at 18h.
Would could actually happen to me?
Pain, itchiness numbness, rash. Loss of function, like being unable to urinate. Paralysis.
Could I get permanent damage anywhere?
Yes, like paralysis, or other neurological function.
Or would these things subside with time
Sometimes. i have a friend who still limps and has to walk with a cane after DCS some decades ago.

Why are you asking? Did you not cover this in your OW class? Are you unable to look it up on the DAN.org web site?
Are you hoping some random person on the internet will say "No Problem, just fly" and you'll take their advice over all the other input you are getting?

Just wanted to change up the temp and nature of the question at this point. Let’s say that I do fly. Post an 18 hour wait after 2 dives, and most recently 12 hours on a single dive. Would could actually happen to me? Could I get permanent damage anywhere? Or would these things subside with time
No one can answer that question with any certainty - and would you really take advice that could affect your life from strangers on an internet Forum if it is not aligned with the referenced expert guidance from DAN?

If you got a severe bend and the flight was diverted to another airport so you can get treatment. How much do you think the airline would want off you, plus the coat of treatment. I’d wager it would be more than rescheduling your travel.

You are hanging your hat on the notion that you had an 18 hour SI between your second to last day and your final dive. The seems important to you because you seem to think that if an 18 hour SI fully resets the saturation clock, you believe that it would then allow you to wait only 12 hours. I am unsure how you decided this is true, but that is not how the DAN recommendations are written. Many of us have made expensive mistakes. Don't compound it with the potential for another life altering and expensive mistake.

Does your dive shop have 100% O2? Other than the emergency kit?

IANAD, but if I had a literal life or death need to get to high altitude soon after diving I’d be sucking O2 as long as possible to off gas as much as I could.

DAN recommends 18 hours, others say 24, the Navy used to say 12 hours for fit sailors.

Back
Top Bottom