Is it safe for me to fly? I really need to get home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless. Everyone on the boat was telling me to cancel my flight. And so is everyone here. I think I’ll just pay the $700 bucks and look on the bright side and enjoy 2 more days here. Shop around, order food stay in and relax. Just sucks because that $700 could have been used for a new dive watch I was planning on getting/or camera. But sure the time it would set me back to get that again is minuscule to limping for years if tissue or bone damage would occur: biggest thing is as we speak I don’t feel well. I feel extremely fatigued. I did close to 6 dives in the last 3 days concurrently. It literally has been dive, back to hotel. Sleep then wake up and dive. Very little water in between im deff dehydrated and what we factors increase the risk I have them all. I’m goofy but will use this lesson to invest in a proper wrist computer to do less guess work and follow guidelines better. Happy I came on here to ask, and was explained everything thoroughly.
Everyone is right, you shouldn’t take the chance especially given dehydration and fatigue already in evidence. It’s breaking the guidelines no matter how you try to tell yourself otherwise. The ”emergency exit” (I assume ascent?) may or may not matter, certainly doesn’t help. But interesting that you say “just once” - not typical to need to do this at all, more likely to go for years eithout, maybe never. Plan better and do better next time.
I will say though for future reference, 2 dives a day for 3 days is not considered much diving by most active divers on tropical trips. It feels like a lot when you are a new diver, and its common for a new diver to feel tired. But it’s pretty common for divers to do 3-4 or more every day for a week or more, especially on a liveaboard. Now those may tend to be more experienced divers that are doing things “better” - controlling their profiles better, staying properly hydrated, diving Nitrox, whatever. And they’re definitely planning their diving to allow enough time before flying.

I went to Roatan with around 30 dives for a week. I did five a day except for the last where I did 3 because of the 18 hour clock (late flight).

I agree 2 a day for 3 days isn't much.

Myth. Read the workshop report where the current guidelines were agreed to.

I was an instructor when the "debates" and protests were going on at DEMA and other diving forums at that time. The dive travel industry was shouting at DAN and other agencies about the 24 hr rule because it cut down on their business. They wanted less time to enable their gusts to do more diving in shorter stays at dive resorts.

I was an instructor when the "debates" and protests were going on at DEMA and other diving forums at that time. The dive travel industry was shouting at DAN and other agencies about the 24 hr rule because it cut down on their business. They wanted less time to enable their gusts to do more diving in shorter stays at dive resorts.
Yes, there was pressure to reevaluate. There was no pressure to choose the new guidelines. DAN Europe still says 24h.

Yes, there was pressure to reevaluate. There was no pressure to choose the new guidelines. DAN Europe still says 24h.

The moral of the story, for ME, 24 hours was/is a good SIT before flying after diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom