Is it worth a housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nivtup

Reaction score
So I have an Olympus D-460Z Digital Camera.

I was wondering if it is even worth getting one of the housings for?

Give it to me straight I can take it.

Don

The answer is not as easy as one would think. Your camera has a 1.3 megapixel resolution. This is limiting if you are trying to recreate 35mm film quality. If you are only interested in displaying your underwater photos on your computer monitor, or emailing them to friends, 1.3 megapix resolution is probably acceptable.

As for whether a housing is worth while, my answer is absolutely. After years with a Nikonos V and it's tempermental (flooding) problems, I changed over to an Olympus 3030 9with 3.3 megapix) and the Tetra housing made specifically for the 3000 series by Light & Motion (www.lmindustries.com). The housing is easy to use and the results are great. As soon as Olympus upgrades to a 4 or 5 megapix resolution, I'll trade the 3030 for a new version.

The Ikelite housings tend to be bulky and difficult to manuever. I'll post some recent shots later in the week.

Check out the light & motion site for some idea of what you are capable of.

AJW

It all depends on what kind of results you expect and what you plan to do with the photos.

First of all, have you been able to find a housing for this camera?

If you just want amateur looking photos for a web site or small prints, this camera might be OK. However, it doesn't have support for an external strobe. That is a major drawback. The forward angle of the built-in strobe will cause unsightly backscatter in your u/w photos. Also, the power of that built-in strobe will be inadequate underwater IMO.

Again, it all depends on what kind of results your able to accept.

Regards,

Brian

I have a similar situation.. I have a Olympus D340R and I have found a Ikelite housing /video C light source /and a conversion kit costing about $495 total. I love the camera and was wondering what kind of quality I could expect. I am currently using a Aquashot 3 with strobe and having good luck with it.

Hello,

Well the answer to your question is mixed, so yes and no. :wink:

Yes it's worth it if you are trying to do things like over/under shots (shots w/ 1/2 the frame underwater and the other 1/2 looking over top the water) the nikonos and s/s cameras can NOT do this properly. with a housed unit you can get better quality shots as you can get SLR features and the like.

No if you are going for less bulk, lightweight and just want generic snapshots. Housings can be abit on the expensive side and you need to see if the photos will be worth the $.

My solution, for me, was to use BOTH. That's right. I dive with TWO cameras, a nikonos V and my canon elan IIe in a housing. They are totaly isolated from each other. I typicaly shoot b/w in the nikonos and e6 in the canon.

Ed

Yes, 1.3Megapixel prints get blockly larger than about index card size. When I saw the bulk and price of many housings, I replaced my 1.3Megapixel with the 3.34Mp Sony "Cybershot" DSC-P1 and the "Marine Pack" MPK-P1. MySimon found the Marine Pack for $165. My local OfficeMax had the camera on sale for $499. The 12 buttons on the housing control just about every feature except LCD on/off. The fist-size housing fits my BC pocket. I added a 128Meg stick to my Marine Pack order; it holds 80 shots at highest quality, more at lower settings. "Movie" mode records color video with sound, I found samples here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/p1.html

Nivtup,

Well, lets start with confession--good for the soul, if nothing else--I use a Nikonos. I just carry one camera, unlike black(hair)net, so I have no experience with housed cameras. I do have a Nikon CP 880 (3.3 megs)and looked at a housing for it and decided I did not like the housing. There is only one housing on the market for this camera at present and so I do not use it underwater.

So, there you have my Curriculum Vitae.

My words of wisdom are simple. You know what you use your camera for. If what you do with your photos is put them in an album in snapshot format for memories, then a housing for your camera will work just fine!

If, however, you make enlargements, do croping and "artistic" stuff, you will, likely, be dissatisfied.

It really is quite personal. And there is one more thing. If you are now at the snapshot stage of your photo life and someday transit to an artistic stage, you will want to get a different camera then. Now, we will be talking about all the choices mentioned above: amphibious camera vs. housed; Nikon vs. Canon; F-5 vs F100; Subal vs. Sea & Sea; and on and on and on. And if you want to see fur fly, watch how folks defend their choices on that thread!

Joewr (who still has his orginal Rollieflex from high school and it is not housed!)

Hello,

Well as for the choice of cameras it's a matter of personal preferences and what you will be using it for. I have no room for that topic of brand X is better than brand Y it's all relative to what you are doing and what you want.

As for housing goes the best thing i've ever done was to buy a housing.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom