Is limited solo diving completely insane for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tursiops, I completely agree with you, as I am sure nearly all instructors do. But trying to explain this to someone that is not an instructor is probably a waste of your time. Like trying to explain calculus to a dog, they just have no idea what you're talking about (and would rather you just give them a treat.)
Exactly this kind of attitude based on nothing else but some training and a card is what makes me disrepect many instructors and ignore their opnions completely. Well done!

There is no book. The "class" is mostly in the water, and has massive liability for the instructor, even for real students. Imagine in court: "Mr Instructor, you knew the student did not have the clearly stated prerequisites for the class, and dId not sign any of the required forms as an auditor, and yet you allowed him to participate, which led directly to his drowning. How do you explain this?"
Most instructional situations allow for "auditing" where you basically sit and watch someone else take a class. I've audited college courses and I audited my daughter's Open Water Scuba course. I sat in a chair and watched her (or other strangers in the case of the college course) take the class. I didn't buy any course materials (books, labs, etc), I didn't take any tests, and I didn't get any cards or college credits. If I had for some reason wanted a second OW cert card, I could have paid the instructor, and taken the class with him the next time it was available.

Now if Landstar's instructor gave him the card after he audited then met the pre-req there is a problem for sure. It sounded to me like he audited the course, met the per-requisites, and then took the course.

Now, if you really mean to say that PADI won't let you have someone sit in and audit your classes then I say PADI is not being reasonable. You should probably consider training through a more reasonable agency. There are many many certification agencies to choose from and since auditing is such a normal educational scenario I would wager most would not have any problems with it.

As for the one who audited they also made him wait until he had the 100 dives before certification so technically he had the dive number. In the standard I think it just says 100 for certification although most shops aren't going to teach it until you have 100 as it's only three open water dives to complete course so to do it at 55-60 to me would be a waste when you can get more skills from tech 40 with only a 50 dive requirement.
The OP said he would ask about audit not that an instructor issued him a card without doing course. And I'm pretty sure that no LDS will issue one without having done the course. Personally I would do tech 40 rather than self reliant.
The Instructor Manual for the course is quite explicit:
upload_2018-2-9_17-20-5.png

Note it says "at the start of the course" for the 100 dives.
Tech 40 and Self-Reliant are quite different courses, with different goals. the former does NOT certify you to dive solo, for example. the later does not allow you to go into deco, for example. Hey, take both.

Some people post on Scubaboard to help others learn how to have fun and be save while diving. It is important that those people compose their posts in a way that connects their message positively with their target audience or they risk failing in their mission to be helpful.

Some people post on Scubaboard to prove that they are accomplished divers and they succeed in that mission whether or not they connect with their target.

Some people come to Scubaboard to learn. They are best advised to filter out the latter posters if they feel undesirable criticism. They should however recognize that there is likely some truth in what is being said even if it is presented with a hammer instead of in the friendly style of a trusted advisor.

We all have our challenges. Me, I’m sometimes pedantic and condescending.

Dive safe and then come back and share the highlights.

We all have our challenges. Me, I’m sometimes pedantic and condescending.

Dive safe and then come back and share the highlights.

Me, Wistfull Nihilstic Reactionary Poser and...... Chronic Bad Speller. I feel so ashamed...

Some people post on Scubaboard to help others learn how to have fun and be save while diving. It is important that those people compose their posts in a way that connects their message positively with their target audience or they risk failing in their mission to be helpful.

Some people post on Scubaboard to prove that they are accomplished divers and they succeed in that mission whether or not they connect with their target.
^^
Exactly this.

I don't take other divers, especially instructors, serious because of certification or even number of dives. I respect divers who do the really challenging dives and come home safely every time. I like to learn from their lessons learned. Sometimes they are instructors, but often they are not. I don't care. As long as they are willing ot transfer and discuss their knowledge, I'am willing to listen.

Having dove the Pacific Coast, I got to where having a buddy nearby was not a necessity for comfort. With Kelp and low vis became a fan of the saying, "Yeah, I got a buddy. We're in the same ocean."
My first boat dive after certification, I was paired with a buddy. The dang fool almost got me killed not sharing his air when I as I, an excited newbie, sucked down mine in no time flat.
We have a local quarry here near Gadsden, AL. Never dove it because the owner is 100% set on having a buddy.
Let folks know where you are and go enjoy. Just be careful.

I understand the difficulty of not merging up your schedule with the schedules of dive partners that you don’t know.

Where i’m at, diving solo isn’t allowed but the local scuba club has a fb page and it’s easy to find a partner that way—just post the location, date, and time. Someone will nearly always respond.

If such a fb page doesn’t exist bear your area, maybe you could create one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom