Is my P&S hopeless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree that a strobe isn't necessary for underwater photos it does make life a lot easier. I have a canon SD600 with ikelite ds50 and the ev controller. It works well the only problem with the ev is that sometimes it will fire off someone elses strobe. I would also like to know the ins and outs of getting the shots above without a strobe.
John

Strobes are helpful, but not necessary. I took all of these pictures using a Casio Exilim Z1000 with no strobe.

The trick is to get in as close to your subject as you possibly can ... a flash is only effective up to about 3 feet ... to bring out the colors. As for white balance, if your camera doesn't give you the capability, almost any post-processing program can help. I use Photoshop Elements, which is a pretty inexpensive program.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Total rookie, here. I'm curious as to what depth the pics without strobes are taken. I'm about to invest in an underwater camera set up, and with the strobe, I'm lookin' @ about $900.00.

Total rookie, here. I'm curious as to what depth the pics without strobes are taken. I'm about to invest in an underwater camera set up, and with the strobe, I'm lookin' @ about $900.00.

For that price you might want the Canon S90 with the Ikelite housing and dual AF35 strobe set in this link:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/319754-s90-ike-housing-w-20-a.html

The Ikelite AF35 strobe can be set up as a double strobe or single. It is a somewhat simple strobe but priced well and it obviously works.

That would be my choice for 900 dollars and a bit more.

It is very difficult to take underwater photos with a "pure" automatic typical pocket camie. Of course, the poor photos they produce are offset often by excellent video modes. It seems most of the fully controllable cameras have lesser video modes because it is assumed photographers will buy them, not videographers, while the cute little pink and green and snappy looking little pocket camies are meant for the you-tube folks who shoot lots of video clips and a few party pics.

If you want to have the flexibility to shoot in varied conditions you need exposure compensation at least in an easily accessible mode and preferably full manual control. The tiny little S90 can do both. It has the same sensor and processing engine as the G11 and full RAW capability and a faster lens and a larger LCD.

Sure you can take good photos without an external strobe, you can, but, I cannot, I am not so good, I admit, I cannot. It is hard enough with a strobe set. With a strobe it becomes a matter of skill, without a strobe it seems more a matter of pure luck.

Comparative size of typical P&S housings, Canon type, Ikelite "box" type and the new FIX90. Of note is that the Ikelite for the S90 is not the box type but a smaller molded case.

DSCF0001.jpg

Ikelite AF35, single or double strobe kit:

http://www.ikelite.com/af35/autoflash.html

I would prefer the more expensive Inon D or S2000 but they are more expensive, more power, more coverage, more control, more capability all around.

Just a side note that applies to many things, you can run out and buy the first thing you see and maybe save some money and then spend more money and time trying to make it do what you want or do some research ahead and then buy the "item" that has the capability to do what you want straight up front. So, you have to identify the features that you need first and then look at your budget. It is my favorite saying, "some people will go to any expense to save a dollar" and ultimately those folks are dejected and sore headed at their achieved outcome.

Good luck to you.

N

Make it more simple, first identify what you want to do. If once or twice a year in clear water and snappies and videos are your interest then there is no need for a manual control capability or other advanced features and maybe a nice video HD mode is important. If, however, you wish to take the photos you want and not the ones a computer program in the camera thinks you want then you MUST have manual control capability, some means of interfacing with the camera to impose your will and vision upon it. If a more serious interest in photography and you are diving in various conditions from murky lakes to crystal clear tropics, a more versatile camera might be required. You have to decide what you want, what is your interest and then determine which is best for your requirements, there is no best all around, cheap, can do everything best P&S or camera of any kind.

In anything but crystal clear waters an external strobe becomes increasing useful--for photographs and is of no value to a video clip. But then you cannot slip it in a BC pocket anymore so it is back to deciding what it is you want to accomplish and do. For example, I have never shot a video with a camera, I used to have a JVC video rig and it grew mold and moths took it over, I simply have no interest in a video, it was an expensive lesson and a waste of a good piece of equipment. So, that is an important factor I input in my search for the "best" camera--for me. I expect others will have differing priorities and I imagine that is why they make so many different types of cameras (though so many are so alike).

N

Strobes are nice but not necessary. I have been told I shouldn't even bother taking my P&S camera into the water because it doesn't have a strobe. I have gotten plenty of shots I am very happy with without a strobe though, see here for my favourites: Favourite Dive Photos - a set on Flickr. The viz can be average (1-10m) so most of my shots are in less than 10m of water and I tend to do more macro than long distance stuff, but still, pretty happy with my setup (my current camera cost $50 and the housing was free).

Do you have manual settings on your camera? There are very simple cameras that have manual mode, it's not a fancy thing (my camera has manual settings for example). Long exposure will make them blurry so reduce the exposure. Also you can do colour correction in various post processing programs (I use Picasa as it is really easy to use, but it is limited).

Strobes are nice but not necessary.

I am sorry, this just does not square with reality, what is necessary depends upon the desired outcome. I am sure if strobes were not considered absolutely essential by many diver/photographers there would not be people with two 1,000 dollars strobes on their cameras unless it is just a big industry wide joke and we are all being duped. :confused:

A more accurate statement would be that they are not necessary for the photography that YOU enjoy and the results you get without are fine for your purposes. :idk:

YMMV

N

I am sorry, this just does not square with reality, what is necessary depends upon the desired outcome. I am sure if strobes were not considered absolutely essential by many diver/photographers there would not be people with two 1,000 dollars strobes on their cameras unless it is just a big industry wide joke and we are all being duped. :confused:

I never said people who buy strobes are duped :confused::confused:. I would love some myself. Just that they are not necessary to get decent shots as shown by a number of people such as Grateful Diver, diver 85, etc.

A more accurate statement would be that they are not necessary for the photography that YOU enjoy and the results you get without are fine for your purposes. :idk:

Errr, yes, thanks for summing up my point. I said they are nice but not NECESSARY. Some people might find them necessary but not all. I don't know what the OP thinks about it, I was just giving my opinion, like everyone else here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom