is my wife deformed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a female with the same problem- went through two high dollar masks (cressi and tusa) which both leaked at my temple. I also tried on youth masks, but I ended up finding a free divers mask at divers direct for about $30 and I have done about 300 dives on it with no problem (dive for research)! The free divers masks are generally smaller because they want to have less to clear when they fill with water. I love it so much that I am going to buy a back-up and keep it.

Good luck!

Let us know how you get on. Identify with the experiences. Yes, it is the smile that does it. But there has to be a clue - doesn't leak in the pool but does on a real dive? So the lotion theory looks a possibility. But how's this? Try on a mask in the pool. Is the mask brand new? If so, skirt is absolutely clean. If the mask is a demonstration model then skirt may not be clean. So - does this square with the suggestion to put vaseline round the skirt? I believe there is some stuff specifically designed to help a mask skirt seal. Or - do you need to clean the skirt after every dive?

What are the other differences with sea dives? Current pulling on the mask or speed of finning - our pool isn't big enough for proper finning - even gentle speed.

We were told that the TUSA Liberator Plus (not straight Liberator) was the one to try when all else fails. I take it you've tried that one - it is an old design. It worked for herself.

I bought this Liberator plus for my wife for Xmas and we just got back from the Caymans and it worked great for her, no leaks at all and that's the first mask she's had that ever fit her right, thank you. Got lucky over it. :D

There is no reason for you have bought and be forced to keep so many different masks. I had the same problem; I went through 4 or 5 masks before I found one that didn't leak. But in the end I only bought one mask. The store should really offer to replace to the mask till you find one that fits.

my wife did the same thing. we discovered it was that she was breathing out a littlebit w/ her nose and the mask was leaking a little bit by it being "pushed up" on her face. make sure she's not breathing at all through her nose.

As others have stated. You dont want a too loose or too tight mask. They both can cause leakeage you basically want it to fit on face comfortably with slight pressure. Best thing to do is find someone a Diveshop with a pool so she can get into a pool and try the mask right there

Back
Top Bottom