Is Point Lobos really that good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There is an article in Scuba Diving Magazine about someone making a scale model of Point Lobos dive site simply because it is such a popular dive.

Is it?

I am curious about exploring the diving on the West Coast but I always thought Catalina Islands would offer the best dives. After reading the article, now I am contemplating whether a trip from DC to California would be justified just for diving the Point Lobos Monterey area? Thoughts and suggestions please. Thanks.

Personally, I would rather dive Carmel Bay (Pt Lobos is on the south side) on a good day than anywhere in the world. Finding the good day can be a problem due to weather and getting a small boat around the point from Monterey. Diving from the park eliminates the transit problem, but a boat really gets to the very best spots. Let us know what you think.

Pt. Lobos on a good day is spectacular! I think for topographic variety, amount and size of marine life & ease of entry/exit, Pt. Lobos is second to none along the California Coast. The only issue is that conditions are variable and more so the farther North you go along the CA coast. Not much you can do unless you can plan to be here in the Fall for the overall best chance for great conditions. That does not mean Pt. Lobos or Monterey can't be spectacular the rest of the year. Here is a small sample of what Lobos is like on a good day in winter:

[video=vimeo;88027550]https://vimeo.com/88027550[/video]

Yes, Point Lobos is excellent diving. Early fall one of the best times.

I would rather dive anywhere in Carmel over Catalina any day. Conditions can be tough to hit on a good day, but a good day in Carmel beats just about any place I've ever dived.
Pt. Lobos Underwater Map

[vimeo]44291582[/vimeo]

[vimeo]52824587[/vimeo]

Folks: Those videos are AWESOME! Now are those conditions seasonal? Is there a particular season which would be more favorable? I am thinking, should I book an extended weekend in advance or it would be best to wait for an ideal weather window and find a last minute flight even if price is high. A lot is going through my mind after those vids.

Winter can also be just as exceptional as Fall but maybe not as often. I dove Blue Fish Cove, Pt. Lobos in February during a rain storm (not a windy big storm just overcast with little wind and moderate rain) and had arguably, 100' vis in the outer portions of the cove. I would also concur with MaxBottomtime, Carmel/Pt. Lobos would be my first choice over anywhere else in California and I would throw in Hawaii too for that matter.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

Folks: Those videos are AWESOME! Now are those conditions seasonal? Is there a particular season which would be more favorable? I am thinking, should I book an extended weekend in advance or it would be best to wait for an ideal weather window and find a last minute flight even if price is high. A lot is going through my mind after those vids.

As said by MaxBottomtime, Fall generally has the best chance for excellent conditions but even reading this weeks posts on the Monterey Conditions thread shows conditions can be good almost anytime.

…As said by MaxBottomtime, Fall generally has the best chance for excellent conditions but even reading this weeks posts on the Monterey Conditions thread shows conditions can be good almost anytime.

Late fall is your best chance, but the very best I have seen is if you can catch it at just the right time between winter storms. You practically have to live there and be a dive bum to catch those days though.

California is a special place. Seeing those videos gives you an idea of why a lot of Californians choose not to go to far away destinations.
It's cold though, many spots like Lobos can easily hover in the mid to upper 40's.
That's also the reason for so much profuse marine life.
California's a big state. The far southern end is completelydifferent from the far northern end.
However there are a few crossover species that are seen in both, but many that are not.
The south has lobsters and those orange fish called Garibaldis.
The northern end tends to look a lot like the PNW with Puget Sound king crabs, giant pacific octopus, big wolf eels, and big lingcod.
Lobos is somewhere in between.
The Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur area can get some incredible vis because of the cold water that comes up from the trench right offshore from Carmel.
Here in California the water is actually the coldest in spring when the winds come up from the inland valleys heating up and drawing in cold ocean air. This action also causes the water to upwell, that's when the deeper Alaskan current gets sucked up by the wave action. The water can get down into the low 40 sometimes during these spring winds. Along with the ice cold water comes lots of nutrients, and when the nutrients get exposed to sunlight they bloom.
Summer it starts to calm down but the long daylight can cause more of the aformentioned and dreaded algae blooms and the vis can go to crap in a few hours literally and last for days /weeks.
Fall the winds calm down and the days start getting shorter and the blooms are not as frequent. Winter time right before a storm I have seen vis soar to 80 or 90 feet with glass flat conditions. Then the next day all hell breaks loose and 20 footers are rolling in.
Like Akimbo said, you really have to be a dive bum to be able to catch those windows. I actually happen to be one of those bums since I am self employed (ahem,.. I mean, I'm booked solid that day, I'm sorry).

The Northern end of the state is where I am from and up around Mendocino (where Akimbo lives) I have had some of the very best dives of my life. One day at Arena Rock (do a search) vis was in excess of 80' feet. On another trip just south of Mendocino Vis was in excess of 90' feet (maybe even 100', hard to tell) but it was also ice cold 45-46 degrees. This was in August.
The North Coast (Sonoma & Mendocino County) is like 60 miles of Point Lobos on steroids.
The north though is hard to get to, there are no charter boats, you really have to know someone and have the flexibility and the support system to stay for a couple weeks and be able to hit the spots when they are prime. It's almost like surfing in a way, except the opposite conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom