Is Poseidon worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishdip

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New to diving only a few in but 80% of my diving will be in very very cold water. IE ice diving/ glacier run off! Looking for cold water gear Poseidon keeps coming up as the best option. Is this just marketing or are they really worth the price? Right now looking at the full face mask.

Thanks for the link but that post has little to do with the way I am looking to use them as thats just a general “are they good”

Is this just marketing or are they really worth the price?

I do NOT see them as anything special compared with the offerings from Scubapro, Atomic, Apeks, etc. for technical and cold water diving.

I do NOT see them as anything special compared with the offerings from Scubapro, Atomic, Apeks, etc. for technical and cold water diving.
Do you dive cold often? If so what full face mask are you using?

Poseidon regs are very good in cold water (as well as a few others), but their real shining point is their performance when they go deep.

I can't say you should get them because of the diving you intend to do, but I also can't say you shouldn't get them because of the diving you intend to do...

FWIW I have Poseidon XStream regs as well as ScubaPro (MK-17/G250v) for cold water. Both work fine.

I use to dive Poseidon Odin and Cyklons years ago when we used a condom cap filled with vodka on the first stage and had zero issues with them in the cold. There is also Apeks MTX-RC specifically made for the cold. A lot of people also use the Apeks XTX200 up here in the cold water. There were issues with HP seats on the Apeks that have been updated since 2019 and apparently fixed the issue. I also have used Atomics M1 and ST1 with sealed first stage and no issues in the cold. I would think the ScubaPro Mk19 evo with G260 would be a good choice as well...

this however is my preferred cold/ice diving regulator:

1648812567500.jpeg

No!

Do you dive cold often? If so what full face mask are you using?

Not anymore, I used to do it when I had the strength to get out of my warm bed early in the morning to go diving under the ice or in freezing water. I now live in Libya where I complain very loudly when the water temperature approaches 16C in the winter.

I dove in NY/NJ and New England for almost 30 years way back then. Never used a full face mask just because of the cold. I owned a dive center in Rockland county in NY and serviced ALL of the local dive rescue teams, they ALL used masks from OTS without exception (with communications extensions). I don't see me using anything else other than an OTS mask if I had to wear a FFM.

I sold and serviced (and used for a while) Poseidon regulators and was one of the top repair centers for Poseidon in the area. We also sold and serviced Scubapro, Atomic, Sherwood, Mares, AL and others. We had a very busy service center with 5 - 7 service technicians on staff including somebody who worked for many years as the service and warranty manager for one of the top dive equipment manufacturers in the world. We were also the warranty service center for one of the top dive equipment manufacturers in the world for North America.

Back
Top Bottom