Is Poseidon worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My comment was sarcasm....

That phrase is frequently uttered by folks who are either clueless, unfamiliar, or attempting to demonstrate their (false) superiority....

I have heard it numerous times told to the new students when they see me diving it and ask the instructor or the DM about it.

Remember, they are all knowing....

They are ALL OUT to GET YOU!!!

Only regs I have ever seen fail underwater personally were both Poseidon. None I've dove breathed as well as my G250s or TUSAs.
So that is a hard no for me.

Only regs I have ever seen fail underwater personally were both Poseidon. None I've dove breathed as well as my G250s or TUSAs.

Because you’ve seen two fail and you have no follow up story as to why?

Because you’ve seen two fail and you have no follow up story as to why?
We pulled them from storage in the bilges, put them on a handy first stage, and then there was the kraken that ate the front half of each and they failed.

(My G250 does breath nicely.)

We pulled them from storage in the bilges, put them on a handy first stage, and then there was the kraken that ate the front half of each and they failed.

(My G250 does breath nice.)
Was it hungry?

I've also seen ScubaPro, Oceanic, Zeagle, US Divers / Aqua-Lung, and Apeks all fail, to varying degrees, (from trashed pistons; blown seats and massive corrosion, from water intrusion; to hoses and torn diaphragms -- even a cracked Oceanic second stage, once, detached from its hose), when I worked boats, years ago; but I cannot condemn any brand, out of hand; and the lion's share could easily have been attributed to piss-poor service and /or lack of any maintenance. Most any breathing issue can be resolved by proper tuning, which has become an increasing rarity among local dive shops; so too, even a cursory glance or two at current manuals.

There is really no excuse for poor breathing, when Poseidon regulator cracking efforts can be adjusted, over a wide range, to suit individual tastes. We always inquired of the customer, when it came to that; and the regulator was often finely-tuned, on a tank, right there, during pick-up.

The only issue that I ever had with Poseidon, among thousands of dives, was the last minute use of an old shop regulator (mostly used for blowing compressed air, at the time) with, as it turned out, a worn seat, back during Clinton's priapic tenure. There was an over-pressure issue during a dive; lots of bubbles; the OP valve did its job -- no harm, no foul; and I used a pony bottle, for a safety stop. As it turned out, that became the first regulator that I ever overhauled, under “adult” supervision, just a few days later; and it's still in use today.

Most regulators that I have had seen, regardless of brand, were way off specs, by the time they ever hit the bench; and if the IP was anywhere within its recommended range, upon initial testing, it qualified as a minor miracle. Servicing was the least profitable activity for shops, then, and perhaps always has been; and, I can assure you, chief among the responsibilities of those least trained; turnaround was just that great and it didn't pay scheiß.

There is, I think. a clear reason why that increasing move toward DIY is here to stay -- and the healthiest trend that I have seen in diving, in years.

Ineptitude, though, can turn even the finest Maserati into a Pinto on Firestone 500s . . .

Tek3, XTX200, and XTX50. MTX-RC has not passed to my knowledge

They have different sets depending on the teams down there and some level of individual diver preference from my students that were working there. They preferred the double hoses and Poseidons to the Sherwood and Mares.

Key word "used", also the objection to Atomic and Scubapro is that while an experienced diver can dive damned near any regulator under the ice without issue provided there is no major incident that elevates the SAC rates it does not make them the best choice to go under the ice. Sherwood dry bleeds are a great system, the SPEC boots and similar are not.

You have to have a pretty strong inhale to keep it from chattering, doesn't have rails to deal with lights, doesn't have a weight system to my knowledge *though I haven't had any real issue from it being "floaty"* and it will take the OTS comms for the AGA but they go in upside-down compared to the AGA and the cables come out the wrong side which is weird. I love mine for personal use when I need comms, but I do keep an AGA around just in case I'm in with a big team and need something a bit less unique.
Are the SPEC type systems not great in your opinion because they are a mess/PITA to set up properly, or because you think they don’t perform as well? Or both? Where I dive, most people (including myself) use M1s under ice without any issues but that’s just my limited experience.

Are the SPEC type systems not great in your opinion because they are a mess/PITA to set up properly, or because you think they don’t perform as well? Or both? Where I dive, most people (including myself) use M1s under ice without any issues but that’s just my limited experience.
they are a mess/PITA from a technicians perspective, they are an unnecessary expense when there are superior designs out there that don't require that, and if you dive in salt there is a risk of trapped seawater. If you have a lot of ice divers using M1's then you are probably going to a dive shop that sells/pushes them, but they are nowhere near the ideal regulator design for that application, doesn't mean that they can't be used, but it just means there are vastly superior designs out there for that specific application. With todays diaphragm technology allowing insane flow rates there really isn't a good argument for piston regulators anymore other than cheaper manufacturing cost.

Back
Top Bottom