Is shark diving really safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dear Fellow Divers,
I'm a new diver and have been sorting through an endless array of dive vacation offers to find one thing surprising. Places like the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and Palau advertise themselves as having copious caribbean reef sharks or gray whalers galore (or some such advertising slogan). While I know that the recent shark attacks in Florida are by a different species than what's found in your average tropical resort shark dive, they still got me thinking: if a 6ft. bull shark could cause serious damage, is it wrong to seek joy from watching a grey reefer of similar proportions? Do you think sharks in the TCI and Palau (and the Maldives, PNG, Galapagos, ect.) pose a serious risk to divers? If were faced with the prospect of finding yourself in the water with a grey or blacktip reef shark, would you try to avoid the encounter, or try to enjoy it enjoy it? I honestly have no problem with sharks as of know, but I need the support of fellow divers to either completely dispell any lingering doubts about shark encounters, or to recognize my concerns as well founded and steer clear.
Thanks
-mantasscareme

I have literally seen thousands upon thousands of sharks and never had a problem. I have also seen thousands of people enjoy interacting with these beautiful creatures.
Many have had reservations about seeing their first shark but after seeing one in the water they are absolutely amazed and in awe of their grace and beauty.
Truly one of the most mismaligned species on the planet.

Mike

Thanks for the encouragement, I now feel free to go out and fullfil my shark fantasies in the TCI, Cozumel, Palau, or wherever my travels take me

No, but it's a hell of a lot of fun! Seriously, I've dived with sharks all over the world and I strill have all my appendages. I find I rarely sense any fear when I'm with them, just awe. But then none of the great whites I've filmed has tried to break through the cage!

It certainly is for the Sharks :D

Mantasscareme:
Dear Fellow Divers,
I'm a new diver and have been sorting through an endless array of dive vacation offers to find one thing surprising. Places like the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and Palau advertise themselves as having copious caribbean reef sharks or gray whalers galore (or some such advertising slogan). While I know that the recent shark attacks in Florida are by a different species than what's found in your average tropical resort shark dive, they still got me thinking: if a 6ft. bull shark could cause serious damage, is it wrong to seek joy from watching a grey reefer of similar proportions? Do you think sharks in the TCI and Palau (and the Maldives, PNG, Galapagos, ect.) pose a serious risk to divers? If were faced with the prospect of finding yourself in the water with a grey or blacktip reef shark, would you try to avoid the encounter, or try to enjoy it enjoy it? I honestly have no problem with sharks as of know, but I need the support of fellow divers to either completely dispell any lingering doubts about shark encounters, or to recognize my concerns as well founded and steer clear.
Thanks
-mantasscareme

feel the same way, i am yet to spot my first shark. i am sure once we see em all our fears will evaporate.

I did several dives at West Caicos Island a few years back. On every dive, as soon as we hit the water there were a few reef sharks. They would get within about 20' but never acted aggressively. They would follow us to the wall and wouldn't follow us over the side, but when we came back over the wall at the turn point they would be waiting for us and follow us back to the boat. While doing safety stops they would actually swim between buddy teams, within about 5-10 feet of some divers, but again they never bothered anyone. The first dive was a little unnerving when we came over the wall and they were waiting for us, but after that, it was cool. One day there was an OW student on the bottom doing his skills with two reef sharks circling him and the instructor at a distance. That must have been scary, as a noob doing mask removal with sharks circling.
On the flip side, as we headed back to the dock on our last day, we found out that a snorkeler on the aggressor had a big bite taken out of her shoulder the week before we arrived. Scuttlebutt said she had been feeding them before the attack.
I have also seen sharks in several other places without incident.

Common sense and experience tell me not be afraid of them, but to be cautious, and treat them with the respect they deserve.

TT :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom