Is Side Mount the new DIR??? Building resentment towards us as a group...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... and what's going to be optimal in one diving environment will be far from it in a different one.
I do not think it related to environment.
There are only a few really different environmental factors that are more important than 'under water' to describe the environment good enough.

I think it has much more to do with local 'group-mentality' of they diving community.

For example there are areas where it is impossible for a sidemounter without a longhose config to find a group that accepts him as a full member and not some ballast.
In other areas nobody is interested in long hoses anyway except when DIR diving and you are not DIR (or so they say).

In most areas however the longhose will never be required in drill as well as in real emergencies.
Not the situation requires it, people do.

First standard: Stop telling everyone to try side mount.

People tend to believe what they see, and doubt what they hear. So I agree to show not tell, and treat the curious with warmth and respect.
I have no opinion on what you should like. I'm sure SM isn't for everyone every time.
Some won't change anything they do for any number of reasons.
I enjoy all aspects of rec. SM and may never advance to tech. You are free to hate any part of that. People are pretty dynamic that way.
As far as standards go, they only have to be agreed on by the group diving based on the conditions, and complexity of THEIR dive.
I completely agree with GUE training and configuration for very technical dives where visibility may be 0.
Too often we must trust our instabuddy's training and ability while vacation diving.
Through observation I'm guessing too many are barely capable of managing their own dive and not able to respond to others in trouble.
If you can't trust your buddy/team 100% then redundant air of appropriate volume should be standard.

Rule Number 6: Always look good. Both configurations look cool filmed from the front and the side and behind. In shots from below when a diver is in silhouette sidemount looks ugly! :acclaim:

... and they already have their gear ... unless there's a specific need to buy something different. As an example, I'm considering buying a second sidemount rig before my Red Sea trip in August ... the Nomad's quite nice for cold water diving, but it doesn't travel well and isn't ideal for diving AL80's in a 3mm wetsuit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My point was the guys that were seeking status leave, leave diving, leave cycling, etc. when whatever was new and cool becomes mainstream. When you have to be "connected" or in the "inner circle" or willing to seek out the small bike builder (or mystical scuba instructor deep, deep in the jungle in order to achieve enlightenment) then there is status associated with showing up for the weekend ride with serial number 003 of the latest bottom bracket brake set or SM rig modified by XX. Once any Joe can buy a complete bike with all the trimmings, or an off the rack SM rig that works pretty darn well there is no longer status to be had. Then these guys are off to the next big thing. The folks that dive (or ride or whatever) because they enjoy diving etc. simply continue to do. The status seekers do provide a service, funding the development, as they are often quite willing to pay big $$ for tiny (or illusionary) gains in performance.

Understanding that many are driven by a need for status helps explain a lot of the posturing and bickering.

Tobin

Rule Number 6: Always look good. Both configurations look cool filmed from the front and the side and behind. In shots from below when a diver is in silhouette sidemount looks ugly! :acclaim:
Watching one manage a long narrow hall on a wreck is actually pretty entertaining. :D

Some won't change anything they do for any number of reasons.
No, they won't. That's their decision: not ours. If someone asks me, I'll be glad to answer. If it might benefit a close friend, I might suggest.

I do not think it related to environment.
There are only a few really different environmental factors that are more important than 'under water' to describe the environment good enough.

I think it has much more to do with local 'group-mentality' of they diving community.
Oh dear ... there are a great many environmental factors that can impact not just your gear choices but how you use them. Difficult to describe on the Internet ... but those who travel to different places and do different types of diving will understand without the need for further explanation. There's way more to diving than just being underwater.

... Bob (Grateful Diver )

I am quite sure you could find an equivalent to most environments locally somewhere.

I mean that it does not matter as much if someone is somewhere warm or cold as his personality and metality of the people he associates with.

My point was the guys that were seeking status leave, leave diving, leave cycling, etc. when whatever was new and cool becomes mainstream. When you have to be "connected" or in the "inner circle" or willing to seek out the small bike builder (or mystical scuba instructor deep, deep in the jungle in order to achieve enlightenment) then there is status associated with showing up for the weekend ride with serial number 003 of the latest bottom bracket brake set or SM rig modified by XX. Once any Joe can buy a complete bike with all the trimmings, or an off the rack SM rig that works pretty darn well there is no longer status to be had. Then these guys are off to the next big thing. The folks that dive (or ride or whatever) because they enjoy diving etc. simply continue to do. The status seekers do provide a service, funding the development, as they are often quite willing to pay big $$ for tiny (or illusionary) gains in performance.

Understanding that many are driven by a need for status helps explain a lot of the posturing and bickering.

Tobin
I get it ... years back we had that group of young DIR guys we referred to as the Posse. They were fond of telling everyone else how they were doing it wrong. Today I don't think any of those guys are still diving ... they're off being "the best " at something else now. I don't think even the DIR community misses them ...

I am quite sure you could find an equivalent to most environments locally somewhere.

I mean that it does not matter as much if someone is somewhere warm or cold as his personality and metality of the people he associates with.
Sure wish I could find an equivalent to Tulum or Rajah Ampat locally ... ain't gonna happen though ...

Back
Top Bottom