Is Sipadan worth it? Already traveling to R4, Lembeh, and Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leafyseadragon

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the current condition of the reefs at Sipadan? I am diving Raja Ampat, Bunaken, Lembeh Strait, and Komodo in September-October. Is it worth it to add Sipadan? I don't want to miss out on an awesome dive area considering I live on the other half of the world but also don't want to make a special trip to Malaysia if it's not worth it. I am a beginner (very beginner) photographer, interested in both macro and pelagics.
Is November a good time to dive Sipadan? Lastly, any recommendations on places to stay/dive operators for a single traveler on a budget? Safety is the most important! Thank you!

I went to Sipadan on the Celebes Explorer liveaboard in September 2012. Going there my expectations were sky high based on several visitor reports. Taken from that perspective, I was slightly disappointed but overall it was a great week of diving.

The tops of most reef have some dead coral and look rather barren but further down along the walls there is a rich profusion od marine life, large and small. You will certainly see plenty of turtles, sharks etc but the coral per se is good without being anything spectacular.

I think the diving at Sipadan is spectacular but, as what happened to Hintermann, I have just raised your expectations to the point where you'll go and be disappointed. Maybe I should tell you it's crap but definitely wworth the trip. Would you still go but with lower expectations?

The best sites and conditions that Sipadan can offer make it 'not worth it' to the beginner diver who is also beginning u/w photo.

There are easier sites where you can take your time with less stress and have really good fun as you learn. The 'big name' sites around the world eg. French Polynesia's Rangiroa, Palau's Blue Corner, Egypt's Brothers, South Africa's Aliwal Shoal etc. can only truly be appreciated to the fullest when one's diving ability is not called to question.

Until then, my advice is to learn and appreciate the easier sites.

Many divers are interested in seeing pelagics, but not many people understand the level of diving ability that is usually required to do it.

I agree with you gaijin, for the most part. However, we should attempt to get some clarity from leafy. The way I read it, leafy's post said new photog with no mention of dive experience other than what is coming up on leafy's fabulous trip.

Further, if leafy doesn't have any trouble diving Komodo, can't imagine anything at Sipidan being a problem.

As for Sipidan/Mabul, I had a wonderful experience but no, didn't think much of the corals. The wildlife was so tremendous that I barely noticed. My recommendation for a place to stay/dive with is Borneo divers. Leafy it's not that convenient to get to Sipadan/Mabul, if that enters into any of your decision making.

Last edited:
Worth to add SIpadan on the list? definitely yes, I only know very few places in Asia where you can spot schools of jacks or 'cudas this size and so regularly. To tell the truth I don't have any other place in comparable in mind.
October november shouldn't be a an issue, it may allow you to dive Sipadan almost everyday since the permits quota should not be reached for resorts like Borneo Divers or Seaventures.

Sipadan diving is easy, nothing like Komodo, Alor or even some reefs in Raja Ampat. My advice : go there.

... I only know very few places in Asia where you can spot schools of jacks or 'cudas this size and so regularly. To tell the truth I don't have any other place in comparable in mind.
Add Maratua channel to your bucket list. :wink: Every dive I had there had the biggest school of any fish (in this case, barracuda) that I have ever seen. It dwarfed Sipadan's jacks which were amazing themselves.

Thanks for the responses!
I'm not a beginner diver but definitely a beginner photographer. I bought a simple point and shoot (Sealife DC1200) and have been having some real problems with it considering it won't let me switch it to manual mode. I should have done more research before buying a camera but hey! it's what I've got so I'll make the best of it :)

If I only get a permit to dive Sipadan 1 day out of 4, do you think it's worth it? Not interested in turtles (I don't know why! Maybe because I've seen a lot already!), but I love sharks (never get tired of those), nudis, octos, cuttlefish, etc

@Zippsy- Would you really recommend adding Maratua channel? I am flying from the US so want to make sure I get as many awesome sites as possible. Time isn't a restriction; money is (to a degree).

Back
Top Bottom