Is Solo Pool Practice OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only reason a breather should be in the pool is adjusting the harness. I'm about to jump in today to set up my brand new lp85s before I take them for some real diving!

Thanks to every one who replied. Yes I feel very comfortable in the pool alone. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a dumb, newby idea. My big skills to practice are 1) buoyancy, 2) trim, 3) Fin technique, learn frog kick, etc., 4) other basic skills.

I just got back from Bonaire and I found that my buoyance wasn't always under control and when I was filmed by a buddy I realize I was swimming with fee way down about 30 degrees low. Blew me away (I thought I was level).

As far as trim, 30 degrees is not bad at all--it's the threshold for passing the GUE Fundamentals course with a Recreational rating. A Technical rating requires less than 20 degrees from horizontal. "Level"--perfectly horizontal--is a VERY difficult thing to achieve (and not always optimal, either).

However, if you are diving with your feet below you because of your trim, that's something that needs to be fixed. In that position, you will not only disturb bottom sediments, but you will also have to stay perpetually out of neutral, because you will drive yourself upward with every kick, and have to stay negative to counter that.

Like the others have said, go for it. You are suppose to have a buddy for everything these days but it is ok to pilot a 4000 pound vehicle down the highway at 65MPH solo.

Not good to be alone in a pool. Get a friend you can practice with, or at least someone in the area to be alert to any issues you might have. Safety first.
DivemasterDennis

Not good to be alone in a pool. Get a friend you can practice with, or at least someone in the area to be alert to any issues you might have. Safety first.
DivemasterDennis

And this is why the entire buddy diving concept is so frequently treated as a joke. One wonders who holds it for DD when he ventures near a toilet, lest he fall in without a buddy present.

It is no problem at all in my area. No cert checks, just ask and pay admission.

In my experience the pool operator is more concerned about damage to the pool from a dropped tank or dropped wieghts, than a swimming accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom