Is the mk25 superior to the mk17???

mk25 or mk17

• Mk25

Votes: 53 59.6%
  • mk17

Votes: 36 40.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mk 25 routing is similar, but cants the reg to a 45 degree angle to utilize the port on the end of the turret and one on the sides of the turret to ensure the LP hoses are aslo routed more or less down rather than out away from the diver. In my opinion, the Mk 17 hose routing is cleaner.

I have used both, and for my preference, the MK 25 doesn't put the tight bend in the LP hoses used for the bungee'd 2nd stage from the left post and the inflator hose from the right post, because, as you state, you use the bottom LP port with the MK 25s canted at 45 deg. Using other non swivel type primary's you get that tight bend on the above mentioned hoses.

just my .02 psi

I have used both, and for my preference, the MK 25 doesn't put the tight bend in the LP hoses used for the bungee'd 2nd stage from the left post and the inflator hose from the right post, because, as you state, you use the bottom LP port with the MK 25s canted at 45 deg. Using other non swivel type primary's you get that tight bend on the above mentioned hoses.

just my .02 psi
I agree and those are the hoses that take the most abuse. I used to worry about that until I read some very compelling research that use of nitrox mixes reduces hose life by about 40%. Since I often dive florida caves with 30%-32% back gas mixes, I figure that replacing those hoses every few years is just prudent anyway. So any additional stress/wear on the outer casing from excessive bends when the rig is assembled is just an incentive and reminder to replace those as well as the other hoses before the inner section of a hose decides it has had enough.

I guess the 25 is superior to the 17 in that it has a higher flow rate. don't know that it really matters.

I have a mk25/g250v & really like it. I don't dive cold enough water to worry about it.

My wife has a mk11 which is a 17 without the environmental seal, with an R109 2nd. She really likes it.

I don't think you're going to be unhappy with either, with the exception of diving really cold water where freeze could be an issue.

Now I can not decide what I really want. I wish the MK25 was sealed. Why I do not know other than my only experience in dive has been in murky water.

you're really making this difficult for yourself.......to cover all bases, go for the MK17....because it will deliver everything you need and more, and then WHEN you decide you'd also like an MK25, go for it...because you will......this is not a hobby, it's a way of life, and your kit will grow, and grow, etc.....lol :wink:

re the poll......couldn't vote as I use an MK19.......:drooling:

Now I can not decide what I really want. I wish the MK25 was sealed. Why I do not know other than my only experience in dive has been in murky water.
That's pretty much why Scubapro in th US does not sell the Mk 19 as when you add a turret to the Mk 17, the MK 25 has no true marketable advantage.

Sp, especially in the US, has a long tradition of promoting piston designs and bashing any and all first stages that use a diaphragm. Those roots go deep and I was one of the piston die hards for a couple decades. SP was drug kicking and screaming into offering a balanced diaphragm fist stage. The Mk 14 was a rebranded reg used to get something on the market until they could design something. The Mk16 was their interim design while they tweaked it and eventually introduced it with the Mk 17. (and the 18 and 19 are turret equipped versions of the 16 and 18).

In the US, SP still markets the Mk 25 as it's premier reg, apparently out of homage to 40 years of designing and marketing only piston designs. That is much less the case in other countires where the Mk 17 gets credit for neing what it is - arguably the best diaphragm first stage on the planet, particularly in cold water, and more than equal to the Mk 25.

That's pretty much why Scubapro in th US does not sell the Mk 19 as when you add a turret to the Mk 17, the MK 25 has no true marketable advantage.

Sp, especially in the US, has a long tradition of promoting piston designs and bashing any and all first stages that use a diaphragm. Those roots go deep and I was one of the piston die hards for a couple decades. SP was drug kicking and screaming into offering a balanced diaphragm fist stage. The Mk 14 was a rebranded reg used to get something on the market until they could design something. The Mk16 was their interim design while they tweaked it and eventually introduced it with the Mk 17. (and the 18 and 19 are turret equipped versions of the 16 and 18).

In the US, SP still markets the Mk 25 as it's premier reg, apparently out of homage to 40 years of designing and marketing only piston designs. That is much less the case in other countires where the Mk 17 gets credit for neing what it is - arguably the best diaphragm first stage on the planet, particularly in cold water, and more than equal to the Mk 25.

Thanks. I think I originally like the MK25 because one (Do not bash on me now everyone) I am a newb still and everyone locally say its not beatable and two I guess it is a wow factor to me top of the line Ferrari? I never really payed attention about what its optimal uses were and the sealed and nonsealed uses for MY are of diving. I am pretty sold on the MK17 since it suits me more.

The more I read the more I learn :)
And I just saved me the price of paying for a MK25 how ever much it is. More money for other stuff.

hehehe........that's the way to go.........now the money you've just saved can go towards a nice A700 2nd stage...:wink: now that's what I'm talking 'bout!!!

You're going to be happy with either one, just get the one you want. I second the A700 suggestion, although I have no business doing so seeing as how I've never even seen one. I'm just very curious about how SP's latest retro-project is turning out.

Speaking of which, where's the MK5V or MK10V?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom