Is the ocean required for check-out dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaboy101

Reaction score
I went to the dive shop in Mt Dora, to ask about open water classes. They told me that they do all their "check-out" dives in springs only, for the class. Isn't diving in the ocean required?

Nope, I was certified in a lake and a grotto.

Lakes can give harsher conditions than the ocean. Of course,bad ocean conditions and bad lake conditions cannot be compared that well I think, they are two different kinds of beasts.

No, there are lots of people in land locked places getting certified in lakes and quarries.

Nope. It has to be open water. That can be the ocean, a lake, springs, a quarry...

If your dives are going to be in the ocean, doing checkout dives in the ocean might not be a bad thing. That first mask flood, remove/replace, etc. in saltwater can be a doozy if you have never swam in the ocean before. :)

John

There are also specially built pools for this purpose. It's all about the depth.

scubaboy101:
I went to the dive shop in Mt Dora, to ask about open water classes. They told me that they do all their "check-out" dives in springs only, for the class. Isn't diving in the ocean required?

As folks have said the ocean is not required however getting oriented to any new enviornment is a good idea. This includes the ocean, coldwater, limited visibility or anything else that you have not yet been exposed to. Orientation may simply be a dive or 2 with a knowledgable local buddy, a mentor or a hired divemaster.

Some certification cards (at least my OW PDIC) card state what you certified in (ocean, lake, etc.) and a boat operator or shop renting gear may ask to see a log or otherwise question your experience when diving in a more difficult location.

I think you are wise to question the folly of heading out into the ocean with nothing but spring experince under your belt. Keep asking questions when in doubt.

Pete

Nope, ocean isn't required as long as class will be diving in open water. I got certified at Dutch Springs which is just a quarry in PA. Maybe not just a quarry, it's a Scuba park and it was awesome diving there! :)

scubaboy101:

Each training agency defines "open water" in their standards somewhere.

Normally it means any body of water that is "not confined."

Then they define "confined water" as a swimming pool, a diving tank, or a roped-off area of a beach on a lake, quarry, or coast, etc.

Therefore ocean is not the only defined open water. Any lake, abandoned quarry, spring cavern, etc meets the open water definition as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom