Is the paper logbook necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just back from a dive trip in Fiji I was reminded why I carry my paper log books. I knew where I'd dived -depth/time weight setup etc
It was for me pretty darn cool seeing just how much better my diving has become since my last visit to Fiji. Bottom time increased by over 30 minutes and weight down to 3kg

Just back from a dive trip in Fiji I was reminded why I carry my paper log books. I knew where I'd dived -depth/time weight setup etc
It was for me pretty darn cool seeing just how much better my diving has become since my last visit to Fiji. Bottom time increased by over 30 minutes and weight down to 3kg

Yeah, my dive log on my phone only holds the last three dives I did, since I have to keep erasing the previous dives to make space... I should switch to paper, then I would have all of that information at my fingertips, and in an easily packable form!

:)

As posted, I have always used paper log. Nothing against technology, and I know the computer records lots of info. I may not write down. But as mentioned, it's convenient to just have it all right in front of me, rather than clicking on the screen to see each dive. But of course, I also have 13 picture albums dating since 1972. Again, I like to sit down and just flip through them.

I'm not sure you understand the electronic log we're talking about. NONE of the folks that I know of that keep an electronic log rely on the PDC for that history. They download their dives into some form of electronic log from the PDC, either online, on their computer, on their phone, etc. As Spectrum has commented, relying solely on your PDC itself is just foolish. The only folks I know that do that essentially don't log their dives, so when their computers die, no big deal. For those that log electronically, these dives have already been downloaded or manually logged in some other electronic form.

So sorry, your nail in the coffin is just a strawman ... not a real argument against electronic logs but rather an argument against a false understanding of what is meant by keeping an electronic log book.

I'm not sure you understand what I am getting at. I keep a paper log of every dive. At the end of the dive day, I get the info from my computer and log it. I've downloaded the info into various different computers but it's not what I like or need.
Plus, when I go on vacation I don't take my desktop computer and monitor with me.
I take my dive log. It never breaks, never fails to load, doesn't need power or internet or anything to work.
All the relevant info is there. All the time.

---------- Post Merged at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Trusting all that information to a PDC alone was just foolish. You need to download and back-up regularly and print if you want walk-around version.

The good news is that your loss is mostly trivia. The real valuable information would have been scribed in the finished log, paper or electronic.

In any case I am sorry for you loss of that history.

Pete

Pete, my point was that I do NOT rely on my PDC for information stored. At the end of my dive day, I transcribe the info into my dive log - book.
the point is that if you rely on the info in your PDC for proof of dive experience you're gonna get burnt if this happens to you.
I always have my dive logbook when I travel. If my PDC dies, no problem. Still got proof I can dive.

All of you that keep a paper log more power to you. But none of you will ever convince me it's necessary or better than an electronic based log.

All of you that keep a paper log more power to you. But none of you will ever convince me it's necessary or better than an electronic based log.

I would have to say this is a matter of personal preference...... If you prefer using a Divelog App on your smartphone, great!! If you would rather use a paper log (my personal preference)... great!!!
It's a matter of what you prefer, and who cares what anyone else thinks?

Adam

I agree that there's no ongoing need for paper. In fact electronic has the advantage of infinite easy backups and transmission or online retrieval if unexpectedly needed. I do have issues with proprietary formats such as the one you got with brand X computer, that can have issues over time if not exported to a format with long term support.

The act of logging is the important point.

Pete

I would have to say this is a matter of personal preference...... If you prefer using a Divelog App on your smartphone, great!! If you would rather use a paper log (my personal preference)... great!!!
It's a matter of what you prefer, and who cares what anyone else thinks?

Adam

I never understood the "personal preference" posts. Sorry, Adam, I don't mean to be snarky, but of course it's a personal preference.

The only reason why we have an online community at all is so that we can exchange viewpoints, right? So the whole reason for us posting here is to say what we like, why we like it, and perhaps someone will read this and say "Hey, the thing that I've been doing for years? Maybe this is a better way!"

I really don't understand why there is a current of aversion to going digital in some of these threads (paper vs. computer logs, tables vs. dive computers). I guess that some people just don't have a computer of any type and can only keep paper logs, but that's pretty rare in 2012, especially among people who have enough disposable income to pursue an expensive hobby like scuba diving.

Seriously, I can't think of one thing that the paper log does that isn't far better done digitally. If you want a paper log so that your dive logs will survive the EMP attack that wipes out all of our computers, just print them out as you go and keep a backup in a binder. You can bring that binder or a duplicate copy with you if you feel that you need paper documentation when you travel. Whatever data you store in a paper log - a little or a lot - you can have the exact same thing in a digital log (unless you have your buddy signatures notarized, I guess). And the thought of all of that irreplaceable information existing in only one physical object - an object that is made of paper and that is routinely taken out to sea - just seems like a total data loss waiting to happen. And the arguments about losing computer data only apply to those people foolish enough to have no physical and/or cloud backups, which in 2012 is pretty inexcusable, especially since we are talking about a few MB of data at most, even for thousands of dives. As far as format goes, most programs let you export as UDCF, formatted PDF logbook pages, XML, or even comma separated variables, which will be readable until we are back to scratching our dives into rocks with a sharp stick.

Finally, a 500+ page logbook would be pretty heavy to carry around, and I'm not even close to being the most experienced diver on this thread. But my phone will have all of my dives no matter how many I do in the future...

I do diving from my remotes 14 years...and now i'm 51 old. I never used a divelog or nothing. Just one time a man in a diving where i was new ask me , before to let me dive, my log. I say i haven't, but i can show him my dive computer to see thai i was diving two week before. That'all. So stay very quiet and peaceful: use your electronic log and if somebody ask you, print your paper and sign in your instructor.

Back
Top Bottom