Is the rainy season in Maldives really rainy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I didn't have quite the bad luck you had, and only one guy was ill on our trip (ears) so it wasn't that bad to be honest. The guides were great and it was more the owners that I take issue with. I wouldn't dive with this operation again, because clearly they've cut corners and this has cost one person his life. But the crazy things is - we knew that we were probably dealing with a bit of a dodgy operation but when you've come so far, dying to dive, it's easy to throw caution to the wind. And most of the time you're ok, as we were.
And moreover - where do you go to get good advice? I tried searching on 'Stingray liveabord' and others terms but got nothing useful back.
I think that ultimately, it's a slightly risky pursuit, and each time you toss a coin. But bad air is hard to accept. Anecdotally, I think most air is a bit bad. I'm a smoker and I believe I'm very tolerant of toxins (you'll drop an elephant before me with your chosen poison to be totally honest). On air I generally get headaches ranging from moderate to severe. With Nitrox I get minor headaches. Is this less Nitrogen or just less contaminants? I've no idea. But I prefer diving on Nitrox and I find it very unprofessional to offer it when you've no intention of delivering. I imagine afgter this accident that Baani will cease to exist as a name. But the same operators will resurrect. But under some different brand. Not sure there's very much one can do to mitigate this. John

Glad you weren't injured, JC. You're luckier than some there.

The people who run that operation need to be charged with fraud and manslaughter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom