Is the Shearwater Petrel too much?advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it great = yes
is it overkill for a recreational diver = YES
The petrel is a great computer. Just like a Ferrari is a great sports car. If you are just a recreational diver, you can find lots of other computers that will fit your needs for way less money. Ebay has lots of used computers in the $200 and under range. You should be able to buy new for less than $300.

But (like a Ferrari) if you can afford it, then go ahead and enjoy.

P.s. send me your old aladin....

The difference is, the ferrari is a peice of crap that breaks down constantly and is known for very poor support. Yes, the Petrel will do EVERYTHING, even if you don't need it. But when you do need it 5 years from now, 2 years from now, whatever, it'll be there.

A laptop will be outdated in 5 months. The 3 year old predator I have is just as current as any computer. And the Shearwater Pursuits people have been using for 10 years still work (and are supported) flawlessly.

If you can afford it, buy it. You won't be sorry.

I am and will likely always be a recreational diver. Looking for a new computer that I could keep for life.

My search led me to the Shearwater Petrel and there is a lot I like about it. The display, customization, free mac interface, interchangeable battery (may still be using my old Aladin if I could have changed the battery).
Clearly too much of a computer for me as I won't do tech diving... but then I am the type to do some reading and understand what's under the hood so I may learn something.

Some may argue that a computer is not even needed for recreational dives but I like the control and autonomy it gives. Made me focus on slower ascents for instance, which makes a difference for multiple dives.

Am I looking at it the wrong way? Any other recommendations? Looking forward to your thoughts.
Asking for an objective answer regarding the Petrel here, isn't very likely to get you any. :wink: Yes, it's an amazing computer, and I'm getting one myself, however, in my opinion you should really think whether it is what you want or need. There are plenty computers out there with a great display, that allow for easy data transfer, have a user replaceable battery, but that don't cost close to $1000.

I can't look into your current and future diving. Do you dive every possible moment you can (and what are the conditions of those dives? Murky lakes, or clear tropical waters?), or are your dives limited to a couple when on holiday? How long have you been diving, and what are your future plans? Also, not an unimportant one, how much are you willing to spend?

If you think you'll be spending the rest of your diving days doing tropical recreational dives while on holiday, the Petrel can (will) be overkill. An example computer with pretty great readability is the Scubapro Gallileo (Luna, only difference with the Sol are the unlockable algorithms and heart rate monitor), which has a pretty damn large display and clear letters. If you think you'll move into the extended rec/tech direction, buying a Petrel now might be worth considering.

If you think you'll be spending the rest of your diving days doing tropical recreational dives while on holiday, the Petrel can (will) be overkill. An example computer with pretty great readability is the Scubapro Gallileo (Luna, only difference with the Sol are the unlockable algorithms and heart rate monitor), which has a pretty damn large display and clear letters.

I will refrain from critiquing that piece of :censored: other than to refer the OP to comparing the manual for the Petrel to the manual for the Luna. If that, coupled with Scubapro's lousy customer service reputation, doesn't convince him to avoid the Luna regardless of what computer he does choose...then I guess they deserve each other :wink:

I will refrain from critiquing that piece of :censored: other than to refer the OP to comparing the manual for the Petrel to the manual for the Luna. If that, coupled with Scubapro's lousy customer service reputation, doesn't convince him to avoid the Luna regardless of what computer he does choose...then I guess they deserve each other :wink:
Just giving an example, to be honest, I've never dealt with Scubapro computers myself, but he seems pretty happy with his (he's been diving it since it came out). My point was just that I currently see a trend here that everyone, regardless of past, current and future diving ambitions, should buy a Petrel.

Sure, it's a very good computer, backed by a company that really cares about it's customers, but it all comes at a cost. Suggesting people to buy a tank, while a Toyota Aygo might suffice is also a bit too much ("Hey, you might want to invade a country later on, can't do that in an Aygo") :wink:

Just before the Petrel came out I contacted Shearwater and asked questions as to suitability for recreational diving they replied saying there were better computers suited to Rec diving. There honesty was refreshing they could have said all sorts of things to get a sale but they didn't. If HW don't come through with a replacement in the next few weeks a Petrel will most definitely be my next computer. Too much or otherwise it seems to be a great computer backed by outstanding customer service. I'm sold.

Is it great = yes
is it overkill for a recreational diver = YES
The petrel is a great computer. Just like a Ferrari is a great sports car. If you are just a recreational diver, you can find lots of other computers that will fit your needs for way less money. Ebay has lots of used computers in the $200 and under range. You should be able to buy new for less than $300.

But (like a Ferrari) if you can afford it, then go ahead and enjoy.

P.s. send me your old aladin....

At the risk of creating discourse, the Petrel offers something that you've not valued. I can hand it to a diver absent the manual and they don't have to push a button, they don't have to scroll through menus to set it up, they can actually own it and never really touch a button as an air diver. The diver is informed of all the critical parameters about the dive on a single screen that uses an orderly fashion. Should something happen that is outside the bounds of recreational diving, or even the entire decompression model, the computer keeps going. There is no lockout, there aren't strange symbols, beeps, or flashing lights. No arbitrary stops, nothing to silence, or concern yourself with overall. The interface, quite frankly, is elegant. It's the user interface that you're missing in your value equation, not the brillance of the screen, or the OLED debate. If you're happy making dives with a model you know nothing about and silly LCD symbols for warnings, and a manual that can't be translated in the originial language written - go nuts. Consider if you will that the Shearwater products are not offering the same thing just a better package, they're offering a brilliant user interface, outstanding customer service, unlimited scalability, and complete control.

Try one and report back.

My point was just that I currently see a trend here that everyone, regardless of past, current and future diving ambitions, should buy a Petrel.

"The Shearwater Petrel. The BP/W of Dive Computers"

:)

I started diving with an aeris computer. Right away I found it cumbersome and difficult to navigate if I didn't read the manual before every dive. I bought my petrel at dive 10 in my logbook. I can attest to highwing's comment about being able to use and understand the petrel easily without the manual. I borrowed one on a whim for a dive and ordered one for myself immediately. I won't use any other but shearwater!!

Just giving an example, to be honest, I've never dealt with Scubapro computers myself, but he seems pretty happy with his (he's been diving it since it came out). My point was just that I currently see a trend here that everyone, regardless of past, current and future diving ambitions, should buy a Petrel.

Sure, it's a very good computer, backed by a company that really cares about it's customers, but it all comes at a cost. Suggesting people to buy a tank, while a Toyota Aygo might suffice is also a bit too much ("Hey, you might want to invade a country later on, can't do that in an Aygo") :wink:

Really? Ever see video of terrorists on the move? Notice what they drive - Toyotas! And not because they are cheap. You can't kill the damn things. Mythbusters dropped a friggin building on a Tacoma. Then drove it away. I'd bet if you got creative you could mount a 20mm Gatling gun on that Aygo and take over some little country, like say Lichtenstein, in a couple days.

I'd give anything to be able to mount a couple Browning .50 cal's on my RAV4. Make rush hour traffic a lot more interesting.

OP. Only you can answer that question. Whether "just" rec, or whatever, IMO, an accurate computer allows you to enjoy diving longer with less risk of adverse effects. It is one of, if not THE best received in that regard. So if I were in your shoes, and I could afford it, I would. It's one piece of equipment I would never skimp on

Back
Top Bottom