Question Is the “+” still in use for LP tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two different shops have told me that LP tanks are now stamped with a “-“ if they are no longer good for the 10%. Is this true?

Thanks,
Erik
find a new shop, that's not part of the DOT ruling. If they don't have a + mark from the most recent hydro then they aren't eligible for the overfill but that's usually from lazy hydro shops

Which shop is this
The first was FireEx in Portsmouth, who did their own hydros and fills, and always filled to 2600, even after no +. They no longer do scuba tanks. The other is East bay, who doesn’t do their own hydros, but fills to 2600 without the +. So, I’m not complaining about the fills.

What everyone is saying here is what I understood to be true. But when two different places, the first of which I spoke to the guy who did the hydro, say the same thing, it made me wonder if I was working on outdated info.

Two different shops have told me that LP tanks are now stamped with a “-“ if they are no longer good for the 10%. Is this true?

Thanks,
Erik
Run away from that shop quickly. There is so much misinformation out there on SCUBA tanks - it's amazing to me. It doesn't seem like that hard a concept. I do think it's silly tanks are still made and rated the way they are - the + is such an old thing - new tanks should just be rated (I think other countries have only one value) and be done with it. Of course if that were done, getting my old '72s + stamped would be even harder than it is today.

The first was FireEx in Portsmouth, who did their own hydros and fills, and always filled to 2600, even after no +. They no longer do scuba tanks. The other is East bay, who doesn’t do their own hydros, but fills to 2600 without the +. So, I’m not complaining about the fills.

I'm concerned about the lack of knowledge

Thanks,
Erik

No.

If you really want the straight poop, call the DOT. They answer the phone. They're pretty friendly when it comes to compressed gas safety questions in my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom