Question Is the “+” still in use for LP tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dropped off 4 steel tanks for hydro last month. I taped a note requesting the 10% overfill "+" stamp on the two Faber LP85s. I got a call later and was asked if I wanted a "+" stamp on the other 2 steel cylinders also. I said that those were HP cylinders under DOT SP1348 and they did not get the "+" stamp. The answer was "Ok, I wont stamp them".

9791 tank

🙄

Attachments

• 20231111_092950.jpg
    20231111_092950.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 56
I always like when I get them back with a plus AND a star. Then you really have something special.

I recently saw hydros on HP tanks with a +. The level of incompetence at some retest facilities is stunning.
I reported one such hydro facility to the DOT a while back.

What's a star mean?
That's industrial tank symbol???
I know I have seen it somewhere...
Yes, it is a 10 year retest symbol for industrial bottles.
The CFR specifically calls out that bottles used for underwater breathing are ineligible.
I can actually understand how it happens, most hydrotesters aren't divers and a bottle is just a bottle to them. Easy to mistake a fire extinguisher and a scuba tank when they don't have valves installed.

Yes, it is a 10 year retest symbol for industrial bottles.
The CFR specifically calls out that bottles used for underwater breathing are ineligible.
I can actually understand how it happens, most hydrotesters aren't divers and a bottle is just a bottle to them. Easy to mistake a fire extinguisher and a scuba tank when they don't have valves installed.
Especially after you've stamped 100 bottles in a row with a star.

Took my tank to a shop that said they do plus stamps, after several weeks I called and they said hydro place couldn’t determine the metal type! It’s a 1973 Norris steel ‘72!! Anyway after talking to them more, they said hydro place no longer does ANY plus stamps. I picked up my tank and am beginning my search for a hydro place that will plus stamp my old steels.

Back
Top Bottom