Is the Trans-Pac ok for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curiousgeorgie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm an intermediate level recreational/vacation diver with about 170 dives. I've been looking into buying a Dive Rite Trans-Pac to replace my jacket style BCD. When I asked about one at the dive shop, a scuba instructor advised me against one for recreational diving. She stated that those "modular" type BC's are only good for tec diving with doubles and when I challenged her opinions, she stated that a single tank would not be stable with a Trans-Pac. Is this true?

booth22:
She is a doofus. No, it is not true.

What he said!!!

I dive a single with a plate and a 36 lb wing, Halcyon. It is far better than any jacket BC. Much more stable and balanced. But there aren't any pockets.

I dive a Dive Rite transplate & rec wing with a single tank

The transpac is a very nice BC. Great for singles, supposedly fine for doubles. The sales person was clueless.

what others have said, the trans pac is great for singles, so so for doubles. when ready to go to doubles just buy a plate and harness wing may work, depends on the wing and tanks. but you will be happy in a transpac. i started my trans to tec with one, and was very pleased with it.

I'm gonna disagree with Don and Booth. I think she's a double doofus.

A properly sized transpac is the best thing to dive with. I had a second hand transpac I bought on ebay, which I thought was good.

I just recently got a new one from Fill Express. I felt like I was getting a tuxedo - they measured, swapped out different sized straps and padding, and custom fitted the thing to me. I then swapped from a venture wing to a travel wing, eliminted the pull dump and got a short corregated hose. What a difference in the water. Totaly streamlined, best thing I ever purchased.

Back
Top Bottom