Is the xs scuba tri-metal dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using a xs tri-metal regulator for about a year and half. I took it to get serviced at my LDS in Franklin, TN. When I took it in the tech said that he had serviced a bunch of them and that they were "dangerous" at depth. Not uncomfortable but flat out dangerous. When I got the reg back he said that he had confirmed on the bench that the breathing effort would increase substantially at 60 ft and that at 100 ft it would be "very difficult" to breath. My finance picked the reg up so she is freaking out and asked him if he could fix the problem and he said that he can't because it is inherent in the design.

Here is the thing, I have been 100 feet deep with that regulator several times and hardly notice any difference in breathing effort. In fact it is the most comfortable regulators that I have used and I have never had a free flow from the primary or the octo which is xs as well. The LDS sells mainly scuba-pro and they pretty much tell you that everything else is cheap junk, unless it’s a cheap aqua-lung, which they also sell and describe as “a good regulator for the money.” I realize that the LDS wants to sell its equipment, but I hope that they would not call something dangerous just to make a sale. My next reg probably will be a scuba pro because you do not have to pay for parts when you have it serviced. However I would probably buy it online as that would save two to three hundred dollars.

Everything I have read on this board describes the XS as a great regulator and that has been my experience with it as well. I was wondering if anyone else has heard that it was dangerous or had any bad experiences with it at depth. Does anyone know why it would perform poorly on the bench test? I don’t think that the tech would have made that up and I saw a copy of the test results.

Absolutely it is dangerous! The tri-metal alloy interferes with the seals on a molecular level and will deteriorate and fail without notice!

Send it to me and I will happily dispose of it properly. :wink:

And if you buy this, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale.

I used my regulator in Hawaii down to 105 and had no issues whatsover. The reg performed very well the entire trip.

Interesting post since the Tri Metal is known to be a really great diving reg at depth.

Maybe mixing stainless steel, aluminium and titanium has unaccounted for side effects such as radioactivity, poisonous gaz and/or explosion.

We should ask XS at the Manufacturers' Forum next door.

I believe the original poster got this reg fixed at another shop and it's working fine now. (from a PM discussion I had with him. I can't remember for sure and have long deleted that PM). Seems the issue might have been the shop working on it and not the regulator.

maybe he can come back and post an update to verify.

I have been using a xs tri-metal regulator for about a year and half. I took it to get serviced at my LDS in Franklin, TN. When I took it in the tech said that he had serviced a bunch of them and that they were "dangerous" at depth.

Tell him it wasn't dangerous when you brought it in, and if he does his job properly it won't be dangerous when he's done with it.

flots.

My next reg probably will be a scuba pro because you do not have to pay for parts when you have it serviced. However I would probably buy it online as that would save two to three hundred dollars.

One thing to keep in mind is I don't think you get the "free parts for life*" warranty if you purchase the reg online.

*=With Annual Service

I believe the original poster got this reg fixed at another shop and it's working fine now. (from a PM discussion I had with him. I can't remember for sure and have long deleted that PM). Seems the issue might have been the shop working on it and not the regulator.

maybe he can come back and post an update to verify.

I hope he buys the ScubaPro reg and puts his XS reg on here for sale. I know I'd buy it if the price was right.

Mike S is correct. I took the reg in for annual servicing; I did not take it in because I was having a problem.

Back
Top Bottom