Is there a class or series of classes I can take to learn to maintain my own regulato

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Red_5 for the advice. I did take the PADI equipment class some years ago as an OWD. It provides a general insight to the primary engineering of scuba gear. It is helpful, but in this case I would need something more specific and relevant to "Poseidon extreme deep 90" in detail and scope.

Another good source to learn how to overhaul and repair your own equipment is www.divingtechnologies.com. Rudy Mola owns the business and has been in equipment repair for a long time. The class is a week long and is not cheap, but you will learn how regulators work, how to trouble shoot problems, and how to fix them.

you can take the PADI (or other) equipment class and learn a bit about your gear (recommended IMHO)

you can probably replace all the parts if you wanted to, but how would you fully test it w/o the proper equipment?

PADI won't teach you refurbish your regs.

Like nereas stated, you have to be sponsored by a dive shop.

Last resort is to learn to service your regs from a book.

Will once-a-year work on your own regs keep your proficient enough that you'd bet your life on your repair work?

You'll spend a lot of cash getting the proper tools and diagnostic equipment, too.

PADI won't teach you refurbish your regs.

Like nereas stated, you have to be sponsored by a dive shop.

Last resort is to learn to service your regs from a book.

Will once-a-year work on your own regs keep your proficient enough that you'd bet your life on your repair work?

You'll spend a lot of cash getting the proper tools and diagnostic equipment, too.

What diagnostic equipment does the DIYer need besides an IP guage and a tub of water?

I know it will probably never happen, but wouldn't it be great if DA aquamaster would agree to teach an online course in reg service? It could be done really well, with lots of photo-intense lesson plans, some online chats for Q&A, and maybe to start all the students could buy an inexpensive older simple reg to rebuild for the class. I'm sure there would be many interested people willing to pay a fair tuition and invest in tools for this.

I took an online course in acrylic fabrication from a marine aquarium site, and before too long I was making filters and other devices for lots of professional coral propogation facilities. The point is, you can learn ALOT from the right teacher even in an online situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom