Is there a demand for HSA training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As the founder and current president of the Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project which has conducted SCUBA instruction for over 20 veterans and their attendants since January 2010 let me second that. If there is no organization near you, start one.
Pasley,

Do you know of such an organization in the Portland, Oregon area?

Also, as a former NAUI diving instructor (NAUI #2710) what would be the process for me to become a HSA diving instructor?

SeaRat

To become an HSA diving instructor you will need to attend the instructor crossover course, which is 3 very long and full days (When the Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project host one it runs 4 days as we include a discover scuba event for the handicapped to give you a real hands on experience). Any agency can cross over to HSA.

Your options to get trained are:
1. Attend an already scheduled event with an HSA Course Director. The HSA training schedule is constantly updated at HSA TRAINING These occur around the world.
2. Contact an HSA Course Director in your area about conducting a course. There is a course director at Keizer Oregon.
3. Dive Heart is an example of HSA in action. Jim Elliott is an HSA Course Director but often only list his courses on his website. He has one in Bonaire 23-30 October 2010. Get trained in a fantastic location and also get hands on with handicapped divers.
Dive Heart
4. Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project is currently planning a training event with Denise Dowd HSA Course Director #10, a very experienced course director. We will set the date (February 2011 we are thinking) in the next week. Location the Los Angeles Metropolitan area (Long Beach). Cost $325 Dive Buddy, $375 DM/Instructor plus dive boat @ $120. 4 days including a discover scuba event with the handicapped.
5. Contact the course director in your area and sponsor a training event. Each CD sets their own fees, but typically it is $1,200 plus travel and expenses, then you charge the students the fees you set. Typically these are around $325 for Dive Buddy and $375 for Dive Master and Instructor but do vary by location.

Pasley,

Thanks for this information. I have an e-mail in to NAUI HQ to see what it would take to reinstate my instructor status; probably I will have to undertake the whole ITC again, but that would be fun. I also have started an e-mail to two instructors and the course director you mentioned (I looked them up on the HSA site), explaining what I am trying to do. The Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project has great appeal to me too, as I am a Vietnam Veteran.

SeaRat

John,
Best of luck to you. If I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to call. To wet your appetite, here is a video from our last class which served veterans from Vietnam to Iraq consisting of Veterans with the following disabilities: 3 quadriplegics, 1 double amputee and 5 Iraq vets with Traumatic brain injuries, and PTSD and Poly-Trauma.
Subject Website
Los Alamitos Class 002 Quadriplegic & 2x Amputee YouTube - Amputee & Quadriplegic Dive Students
Orange County Local News DVSP YouTube - Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project
Mel Pasley why I started DVSP YouTube - Melvin Pasley on why he set up the Disabled Veterans Scuba Project
Graduates of Los Alamitos Class 001 What SCUBA did for them. YouTube - Graduates of DVSP class 01/2010 talk about scuba diving
Kelly's Story, Paraplegic Diver speaks about diving YouTube - Kelly's Story

The Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project is a 501(c)(3) California non-profit. All involved are unpaid volunteers with all donations being used for SCUBA diving expenses of dive boats, equipment rental/maintenance, air, ferry to island dive sites and the required insurance.

To all the posters on this thread, Thank you!
I too have had an interest in assisting with a veterans SCUBA program. I will be doing some research to find out what the qualifications are for such a program.
At this time I am PADI rated at the Rescue Diver level, but lack what I feel, is a certain "experience" level. I am also a veteran.
I would like to give back something to those who have given so much for all of us.
Thank you again
Respectfully,

At the 2010 DEMA show I had the opportunity to sit with Jim Gatacre, a diver with such a love and passion of diving, he wanted to share it with everyone... Click here for interview.

Back
Top Bottom