Is there a friggen dive boat in SoCal still in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Every year this happens to me.

I take off 'tween Christmas and New Years (along with several hundred other SoCal divers, I'm sure....) and almost all of the fleet is dry.

I'm dying here.

If there's a dive boat running out of any of the LA area landings, and I missed it - well slap my face and call me a dolt.

Then pass the number over so I can book me and wifie on it.

AAAAUUUGGGHHHH.... its like 75 degrees and clear. Lets dive.

Ho Ho friggen Ho

---
Ken

Did you try the Hydrodiver? Small boat, maybe less likely to be dry. I'm just guessing, but you never know. www.hydodiver.com

I realize the SCUBA Luv and CDS boats don't go out of LA, but they're begging for divers. The island is going through its pre-Christmas doldrums. I think there may have been 15-20 divers at the Park today.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
I realize the SCUBA Luv and CDS boats don't go out of LA, but they're begging for divers. The island is going through its pre-Christmas doldrums. I think there may have been 15-20 divers at the Park today.

Dr. Bill

I don't think she's ever been on the King. We'll probably come out on the 1st (Sat) evening. Maybe do a night dive or two, then hit the King on Sunday, then the dive park Monday AM and head back in the afternoon on Monday.

Or not... but that's the current plan!

When I get firmed up, I'll let you know - hope to see you there!

---
Ken

PS: Got a PM - a group saw a GBSB off of Escondido beach this weekend - I miss the big guys in the Park.... :(

Ken - two words - shore dive :wink:

Of course they had to wait for your gammy leg to heal up and then pull out all the boats to really rub it in :wink:

simbrooks:
Ken - two words - shore dive :wink:

Of course they had to wait for your gammy leg to heal up and then pull out all the boats to really rub it in :wink:

Shore diving blows. Dang boats. It takes me a year to remember that they did this the same time last year.

And the year before....

Me so dum.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Every year this happens to me.

I take off 'tween Christmas and New Years (along with several hundred other SoCal divers, I'm sure....) and almost all of the fleet is dry.

I'm dying here.

If there's a dive boat running out of any of the LA area landings, and I missed it - well slap my face and call me a dolt.

Then pass the number over so I can book me and wifie on it.

AAAAUUUGGGHHHH.... its like 75 degrees and clear. Lets dive.

Ho Ho friggen Ho
Damn you're whiney today! :)

Did someone poop in your Wheaties?

What's this, two whine & cheezes in one day or so?

Jeez, take a pill! :D

(Merry Christmas!)

Mo2vation:
Shore diving blows....
Ken
Hey Ken-

Weren't you the one at the pizza place trying to talk me out of boat diving and do shore diving instead when we were discussing my LA visit? What gives?
icosm14.gif

-Dan

WileEDiver:
Hey Ken-

Weren't you the one at the pizza place trying to talk me out of boat diving and do shore diving instead when we were discussing my LA visit? What gives?
icosm14.gif

-Dan

That's funny, actually shore diving rules...........just depends where you are I guess.

ShakaZulu:
That's funny, actually shore diving rules...........just depends where you are I guess.

Shore diving is fine if you gotta get wet. I'm just not at that place.

I just expect more from my diving. I want every dive to count, and most of the time, shore dives are throw-aways. Drive for hours to OCal, suit up, do a dive, then bag the second dive because the first wasn't worth the drive, the time and the trip.

I want better viz, more life, less surge, no sand and all the stuff that basically sells against SoCal shore diving. Its a rare shore dive when I emerge energized and think, "man, that dive rocked. Sure glad I awoke early and made the trip...."

I love shore diving at night - no worries there. The expectations aren't as high, bug city, lots more life to see, all business. Local night diving rocks.

But shore diving in the day time, when I have the option to boat dive off a local island, or wreck, or artificial reef, or rig? Get real. Take a mellow boat ride, flop in - dive mouth agape at the majesty of the scenery (cuz there is both something to see, and I can actually, you know, SEE it) then climb back up a ladder of the waiting boat to some warm snacks? Please.

No contest. Given the choice, boat diving in SoCal kills shore diving. Anyone who says different is selling you something.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom