Is there a problem with my UK D8 light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Protist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a UK D8 sunlight. Since the day I had bought it, it never seemed to be very bright. I was under the assumption that this would be a nice bright canister light. Am I wrong with this assumption? I initially thought it was the batteries, so I bought new ones. Same problem. Now im thinking maybe the bulbs are poor? Should i spend the money on bulb replacement or should I just drop the light and get a new one?

What do you guys think?
:coffee:

I bought a U.K 600H Rech in 1995 and now 13 light bulbs latter it has served me very well and it was very bright. In 2006 I was informed they do not make the bulbs anymore, lucky enough I had bought a few extra bulbs...now I'm on my last one, then it's in the dustbin, very hard to do when the torch has been so loyal for so long and in theory nothing wrong with it.
In Dec 2006 I bought a UK D8 Sunlight Rech, found it was heavy to the 600H and less bright, and switching from one bulb to the other on the globe makes no difference.
Burn Time - 14W - 13.5 hrs Lamp 1
Burn Time - 30W - 21.5 hrs Lamp 2
Burn Time - 11.6W - 1.5 Hr 600H Rech.
So I can only amagine Underwater Kinetics have build this torch for longer duration underwater, not for looking at the finer points of macro.
The only fault I made was staying loyal to a company that once made a good product, and lost it's way.
At the moment I am looking at other makes of underwater lights.

New bulbs will cost approx. 30 dollars with shipping and such. my LDS is willing to give me 30$ credit towards a purchase of a new light if I trade my UK D8. They have the C4 eLED duel LED light that Im actually quiet interested in. I have dived with a buddy who had one, and the light it produced was amazing. So i will probably end up going that route. I just need to find out if they offer me a warranty with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom