Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anyone is trying to talk you out of anything. Some divers carry redundant cutting tools, lights, reels, signal devices, mask, tanks, even double wings. Some don't take anything they don't need. Do whatever makes you happy.

I told him I no longer allow pony bottles on my boat because of his actions..

Yeah that makes sense. Refuse to allow responsible and careful divers to carry an extra piece of safety gear because one diver didn't use it properly.

I'd never dive off your boat simply because of your ridiculous, restrictive, and irrational rules.

I don't think anyone is trying to talk you out of anything. Some divers carry redundant cutting tools, lights, reels, signal devices, mask, tanks, even double wings. Some don't take anything they don't need. Do whatever makes you happy.
Your responses sure don't read that way - they come across as judgemental an belittling to those who choose to carry a pony!

BTW - unless you have a working crystal ball, you don't really know what you might need - hence the whole concept of redundancy. To me, it all comes down to a risk assessment by each diver on on what makes them most comfortable while diving.

So at the end of a rec. dive, in less than 70ft of water, I'm comfortable running my main tank to 500psi before ascending.
Plenty to share as the pony has my reserve.

I do the same. I get an additional 500 psi out of every single AL80 on almost every dive because I have a pony bottle and I consider that my reserve so I don't need to keep as much backup gas in my main tank. Just like @Coztick does I adjust my reserve based on the depth of the dive, but the pony almost always allows me to draw the main tank lower regardless of the depth, and I almost always have more gas than other divers at the end of the dive plus I've got the redundancy of a completely separate breathing system for the entire dive.

This is when other divers say "You're not supposed to do that. That's not what a pony bottle is supposed to be used for. It's dangerous. You'll probably die, sooner or later". And yet no one can ever say why it's "just because".

Well, there are people that live that “Golden Child” life where everything they do just seems to work out and go smooth. These are the people who seem to find the best once in a lifetime deal on stuff too while others pay three times the cost. These are the same people that will never need a pony bottle. And then there are people that wouldn’t have any luck at all if it weren’t for bad luck. These are the people that live life under a black cloud and murphy’s Law applies Dailey in that if it can go wrong, it will. I’ve experienced both so I will bring a pony bottle on every dive and if you need it, I will hand it off to you and then you can decide if there is a valid reason for a “PONEE” bottle....

@W W Meixner ++++++++++1

... You have the option of handing your pony off to an OOG diver, AFTER you have stabilized the situation by giving him your primary and switching to your backup (pony or octo).

Sorry, as an almost exclusively solo diver, my primary hose is shortened to make it perfectly comfortable for me and neckaced to me, and too short to reach you. You ain't getting it. I'm set up for you to grab my all neon yellow pony reg set up and I'll pass you the pony released from QR shackles - explained & practiced before we splash. Grab my primary and you have a serious problem.

Because there is not a realistic scenario possible were I will need one.

(Only for solo diving there is a realistic scenario possible were I need one.)

I hope your loved ones take great comfort in your delusions.

If you maintain your gear properly, including inspecting hoses, watch your spg and don't dive in a way that you're too deep to make an ascent with the amount of remaining air you have, odds are that you will never have any of these issues.

What about the dip$hit from another group that goes OOA near you? I try to avoid those problems, but...

Snarkiness aside, I never said you shouldn't carry one, but millions of dives made safely using scuba over the past eight decades without a pony bottle speaks volumes to their necessity.

For me, the small effort to carry a small pony (only what I realistically might require) is well worth the tiny effort required. Properly slung it's really no more different than clipping on a reel and SMB and a hell of lot easier than dragging a surface flag.

The one time I felt I should use my pony, I could have done without it (I was saving main gas in case I had to use my Dive Alert in a near shore, shallow situation with possible boat traffic). I was with 2 buddies that let me down. Nevertheless, having that small redundant air source (though I service all my own equipment and know it's done right and rock solid) and never plan to use it is worth the effort.

Assuming you actually know your SAC rate and understand the minimum amount of gas (turn pressure) you will need to safely get you and your buddy off the bottom, with safety stop(s), and to the boat. The answer is No.

Unless you consider unforseen circumstances - like a diver you had no idea was near you, rips the primary out of your mouth. Happened to the owner of my LDS.

If you are diving below recreational depths then the pony bottle is useless. Does not have enough gas to do the above.

Even a Spare Air wil get you close enough to the surface from rec depths to make an emergency ascent. I can make it to the surface at 30 ft/minute from 130' on a 6cf pony with time for a safety stop. Done it.

That said, most (if not all) pony bottle divers dont think about any of the above and use it merely for an "elevator" to the surface without any thought of stops or buddy logistics. A reverse parachute after they have completely **** the bed.

And you KNOW this how? Divine Inspiration? Certainly doesn't jibe with my experience. Perhaps you should consider where the smoke you are blowing originates'
3 strikes ==> Ignore

Being self reliant just means my comfort level isn't affected by your skill or comfort level.

Catastrophic failure? Yea, not expecting a strangers help within an acceptable timeframe. I'm funny that way... Knowing access to bailout is immediate 100% of the time is comforting. Inspecting and testing my own, quality gear helps keeps me calm.

Runaway inflation, or failures on that post are very rare too I'm sure but testing it predive, then inflating manually throughout my dive both eliminates one risk and builds competency with the skill.

I don't want to sound like I'm a nervous or paranoid diver. I'm quite the opposite since removing "buddies" from my life support system.

Thanks, Kevin

++++++++++++++++1

Just because one experienced diver with 500+ dives Is comfortable diving solo at 100’ ( wo redunant gas) doesn’t make it a good idea.

+++++++++++++1 Morons get away with dumb Darwin Award $hit all the time. Doesn't change the odds for everyone else, or even themselves. What is so hard about redundancy in a life critical situation? You are under effing water - you can't breathe it - duh - is it so hard to carry a 6, 13, 19 cf pony? If so, you may die - I won't.

Has anyone considered breathing from their BCD if their main air supply fails?

Good chance that will kill you. Not immediately but after a painful hospital stay. At least you get to say goodbye to your loved ones. It's happened before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom