Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a suitable and reliable redundant air source to me is a must unless diving shallow enough for an easy CSAE an even then it can be a good idea. The idea that you have access to the one on your buddy's back is rather hit or miss to me. If you practice with a redundant air source things like freeflows or failed regulators are no longer a panic inducing scenario which can be the case if you have just exhaled and find nothing there.

A pony offers more than just extra air. You have a second regulator so a completely redundant system albeit with a smaller supply of air.

in my part of the world, and especially a bunch of years ago, freezing-up a regulator was a common experience. That can drain a tank relatively quickly so a pony with second regulator is a great option for that. I started diving doubles decades ago, but a pony offers most of the advantages of a set of doubles, but without the weight.

@nldunn - you are going to a warm water shallow reef diving destination. Your buddy appears to be your husband. I'm hoping you have confidence in his buddy skills, and he has the same with yours? Between the two of you, you have 2 tanks, 2 first stages, and 4 second stages. If your training is proper, you have the skills to be safe without adding more gear. You will also likely have other divers and a guide on the dive. I'd think you are likely fine

You said you were on a trip to Coz as a first time after a long non-diving period. Did something there make you think you need this additional piece of equipment?

Hi,
I’m just a neurotic person with a vivid imagination! My husband and I are both inexperienced and I just really liked having a pony bottle. No real reason except for comfort.
Thank you!

Hi,
I’m just a neurotic person with a vivid imagination! My husband and I are both inexperienced and I just really liked having a pony bottle. No real reason except for comfort.
Thank you!
If you aspire to ever dive without your husband then absolutely it would make sense. A 19 cu ft pony does weigh 13#, is somewhat of an extra hassle to travel with and get filled at your destination. Some places won't want to fill it without a Solo diver certification.

A married couple who only dive together exclusively is one of the rare occasions that teaching the buddy system in recreational diving makes perfect sense. For anybody diving with an instabuddy it makes a lot more sense to dive with a redundant air source.

Don't even ask me what a nightmare it was getting it through Jakarta airport both ways.

If you aspire to ever dive without your husband then absolutely it would make sense. A 19 cu ft pony does weigh 13#, is somewhat of an extra hassle to travel with and get filled at your destination. Some places won't want to fill it without a Solo diver certification.

A married couple who only dive together exclusively is one of the rare occasions that teaching the buddy system in recreational diving makes perfect sense. For anybody diving with an instabuddy it makes a lot more sense to dive with a redundant air source.

Don't even ask me what a nightmare it was getting it through Jakarta airport both ways.
Note to self: avoid Jakarta
:)
Thank you!

Things happen.
  • Divers get lost.
  • Buddies "wander" off.
  • Unexpected currents occur (see relatively recent Cozumel incidents.)
  • Occasionally gear fails.
  • etc ...
My slung pony bottle is just there for me. If and when things go pear-shaped I have a simple emergency procedure to implement that tilts the balance of adverse outcome back toward or to "normal."

I just got back from VIPing my 27cuft pony for my next trip.

Don’t know if I’d trust more my wife than an insta buddy for air redundancy 😂

@nldunn - you are going to a warm water shallow reef diving destination. Your buddy appears to be your husband. I'm hoping you have confidence in his buddy skills, and he has the same with yours? Between the two of you, you have 2 tanks, 2 first stages, and 4 second stages. If your training is proper, you have the skills to be safe without adding more gear. You will also likely have other divers and a guide on the dive. I'd think you are likely fine

You said you were on a trip to Coz as a first time after a long non-diving period. Did something there make you think you need this additional piece of equipment?
You can never have enough gear. I never follow the crowd, I go my own way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom