is there an INON S2000 manual on line ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orcachilds

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I received my S2000 the other day and the instructions are in Japanese :shocked2:

Does anyone know if there is a manual/ help guide/ how to use notes on line somewhere :idk:

Thanks

OC

Hi

I received my S2000 the other day and the instructions are in Japanese :shocked2:

Does anyone know if there is a manual/ help guide/ how to use notes on line somewhere :idk:

Thanks

OC
Tell us what camera/housing and what you are trying to achieve and we can set it up for you. There is no manual on line that I know of, but at Reef Photo (where you should have bought it) there are some guidelines as well.
Bill

I contacted INON a couple of weeks ago regarding a manual when I could not find a downlaodable pdf version.

They promptly sent me an email asking me where I bought it from and the serial no., They then replied and told me they sent another manual to the shop I bought it from.

Shop called me and told me it was already in the shop for me to pick up.

Might try contacting them through there website.

Hi

Thanks

OC

I have not seen the manual in English Online. Judging from some earlier posts, it's not very good anyway.

Inon dropped their US Distributor Inon America in Jan '09, so support is now either direct from Japan if you buy from Japan (and get manuals in Japanese) or from your US dealer who has to deal with Inon Japan. See
Inon America

The few US dealers for Inon do a great service of providing English manuals and product explanations. I have no idea who does repairs, maybe back to Japan for that, but these have been very reliable so that is apparently not a show stopper.

See this prior posting for some user comments on the English manual, and some of the problems and solutions when installing and using the S2000:

Just received my new Inon S2000 Strobe!! [Archive] - ScubaBoard

Reef Photo published a summary of the basic switch settings for all Inons and details about cabling that is much better than the manual:

Switch Settings: Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Selecting the proper settings for INON strobes
Cable Setup: Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Inon Optical Cable Type 4 -> Type 3 Modification

Thanks for alll the info

I'll take a look at the links you've attached
and, I'll contact INON direct too, thing is I live in the UK and bought direct from Japan

Oh dear .... I'm still confused
I've looked through all the links you posted and googled around

Last time I dived wrecks I used an IXUS 100 on manual white balance + wide angle lens with no additional light source
all my pictures were fuzzy due to camera shake from the long shutter speed due to poor light
I now have the Canon S90 + wide angle + strobe

I wondered if it is better to pose a few senarios:

1) I'm in the engine room of a wreck, it's pitch black, only light source being flash lights
I want to take a picture of an object that I can be closer than 1 meter from or further away
Camera Canon S90 + wide angle lens + S2000
How would you set up your camera and strobe

2) I'm on the deck of a wreck
I want to take a picture of an object that I can be closer than 1 meter from or further away
Camera Canon S90 + wide angle lens + S2000
How would you set up your camera and strobe

These are the two most common types of pictures I will be taking

Thanks

OC

A soon as you enable flash on your S90, Func Set Button, Flash On, the minimum shutter speed will be limited to 1/60 second whereas before with your Ixus camera and no strobe you may have been shooting at speeds as slow as several seconds, thus the blurry photos. At 1/60 second and greater 9S90 syncs at 1/60 to 1/500 second with flash on and tends to favor the slower end.

For the engine room scenario which is a horrible place to take photos in "pitch" black", I would probably set ISO to 100 (and experiment from there upward to 400) and set camera to Av mode, set camera flash to Auto under the Menu button and then set the Inon strobe to sTTL high position, camera f stop to f2.8 and shoot. Then adjust from there.

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

On the deck, I would shoot ISO100, f stop probably around f 4.0, camera in Av mode, camera flash in Auto under the Menu button, flash set to On (Forced) under Func Set button on camera, Inon strobe in sTTL mode normal.

IMG_1100_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

Not being mean, trying to help, but, I think one of your issues is you need to read your camera manual, need to read a few books on basic photography because your questions IMO are too basic to answer, since I cannot be in that engine room, really, anything I said above is a WAG.

You have two other options, rather than Av mode, shoot in P (Program) mode or Manual.

1. In Manual mode on your S90 the sTTL will not function with the S2000. You will have to go to Manual control on the strobe also. You will need to install the magnet switch. Now you match f stop on camera to strobe and start at ISO100 and work up to 400 or more in that engine room. Remember that the strobe power level and the camera f stop control near/subject exposure and that shutter speed choice tends to set exposure for the background (along with f stop). So I would choose as low an f stop as practical in the engine room and a shutter speed around 1/60 to 1/125 and on the deck I would choose again f4.0 to f5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/125 to 1/250 and ISO100.

2. You can also use Program mode on the camera, set your S2000 to sTTL high or normal as needed. Turn the knob to plus or minus to increase or decrease strobe exposure.

The strobe always assumes ISO100 by the way. There is no adjustment for that so when you set other than ISO100 you are playing tricks with the camera and strobe.

The magnet switch installed tells the S2000 when in Manual mode (assuming you also have the camera set to manual) not to expect a pre-flash.

The magnet, in or out, does not matter when in sTTL, sTTL selection overrides the magnet switch and assumes a pre-flash and thus you must set your camera to either Program, Auto, Av(camera flash to Auto under Func Set) or Tv (camera flash to Auto under Func Set).

Canon S90 pre-flash operation:

Program--always a pre-flash
Auto--always a pre-flash
Av--you can select flash Auto or flash Manual. There is a pre-flash in Auto and no pre-flash in Manual.
Tv--same as Av
Manual--never a pre-flash

Inon S2000 strobe pre-flash expectations:

sTTL-must have a preflash from the camera to operate
or
Manual-can be set to expect a pre-flash (magnet not installed) or not to expect a pre-flash (magnet installed)

BTW, in that engine room, you need two or three or more strobes if ytou really are pitch black and intend to photo anything much.

N

Hi Nemrod

Thanks for being so helpful, again

When I had my Olympus SP350 I always used the manual settings, so I do know the basics
But, I thought things would be different when you introduce a strobe, this is the first time I've used a strobe

The Ixus 100 was a mistake purchase because there was nothing for me to do, which I don't like

The S90 is on order and will arrive next week

Back
Top Bottom