Is there any interest in a Goodman style handle for the DRIS 1000 and 500 lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knurled nuts would be nice....

I am lurking and have no helpful suggestions. I just wanted to comment on your ability to handle criticism and suggestions from everyone so gracefully. I hope you move forward to production and will most likely purchase one regardless of the fine details, as it will be a significant improvement on the current options (or lack of).

I am lurking and have no helpful suggestions. I just wanted to comment on your ability to handle criticism and suggestions from everyone so gracefully. I hope you move forward to production and will most likely purchase one regardless of the fine details, as it will be a significant improvement on the current options (or lack of).

Thanks - 11 years of sitting in meetings with people nit picking my designs has built a thick skin. I don't treat them like my babies anymore. I am open to comments and I will implement the ones I think make the most sense for the project.

@ScubaSteve

That may be a "pretty" handle but the cost to manufacture went throught the roof just looking at it. The finished tolerances went to the birds as well. Think "low production volume".

answer: ( producer is expensive , and as I have said , they are not good - stable)

Goodman Handle GS45, 65,00 €, FWT Schulz Tauchlampenvertrieb =65€

Goodman-Handle-GS45_b2.jpg

or double Goodman Handle 2-fach GS35, 71,00 €, FWT Schulz Tauchlampenvertr =71€

Goodman-Handle-2-fach-GS35.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post Merged at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:28 AM ----------

@ 00wabbit
Thanks - 11 years of sitting in meetings with people nit picking my designs has built a thick skin. I don't treat them like my babies anymore. I am open to comments and I will implement the ones I think make the most sense for the project.

Completly understand , I have done many project which I try to do my best but on the end ....always someone show me some deficiency , weakness.

Sometimes I have ignore it , but at the end you think on suggested and sometimes correct design.

The difference is only how much money you throw away for nothing

Those last two pictures look pretty, but I will have a tough time installing any of my lights in them. The clamps need to be 2 pieces, as most lights have different diameters along their length.

So, 1 month later. When do orders start getting accepted?

Those designs are very pretty and if I was designing my own light I would probably make something like that. The main issue with them for me is that they can only fit one specific shape/diameter of light. Agian if I made my own light that would be no problem.

I think the benefit to the design we came up with is that we are not limited to only one diameter of light. We can fit any diameter from 1-2". Another benefit is that there are no threaded internal parts that can be stripped or corroded. So if you are like me and a little ham-fisted and happen to strip a nut you can replace it yourself without throwing the whole thing away.

The real problem with all of this is that the market is so small that it isn't really cost effective to use advanced manufacturing processes because the time involved in tooling or machine set-up is too long for the number of parts to be produced.

I've got the design out to a few different places right now looking at my options for machining. I'll let you guys know soon.
I'm also trying to launch a business at the same time so please bear with me if this take a while to get finished. You should have one by next dive season though.

---------- Post Merged at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:37 AM ----------

1month :)

Typical product development takes 6months to a year. Patience - I'm working on it between other things.

+1 on the addition of the holes on the bottom of the handle. Thinking out loud - it will be a great way to make a bungie "strap" to keep it snug on my hand. I'm hoping for good news from you in the future regarding the production run. Hopefully I will find a way to add a few pieces to my gear collection.

Bro, if you think knurled nuts can be useful, i dont think it will make the cost rocket up. Its like cooking the turkey and saving on the gravy. I like your design very much which is why i plan to adopt it for my personal use. The only problem is i dont have an existing goodman to base my standard measurements on when im starting my drawings. Ill be honest, if you could share your drawing that would be awesome haha. Im just gonna scour the net for some measurements. To be honest, I don't have good knowledge on dive equipment and I rely the net and forums like these for information. (currently doing my canister light using resources found on Lucca Brassi's sig and on this forum posted by 350xfire)

In addition, the reason I liked your design is that it looks tactical, :D but definitely we are now looking at boutique, (neither a 1piece prototype or a 1k mass production run) fabrication and since at the cost of USD50 you are already getting pre-orders, i doubt it would put many people off if the cost goes up another USD5 :). Should it be mass produced, those parts will be extruded aly to be "sliced" -or- will be molded delrins/nylons. I really hope to see this thing comes through :) Truth be told, im a diy gearhead :p

Just for comparison....
imagejpeg

Sorry, pic didn't post. Picture of UTD 3w back up light mounted on a goodman handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom