is there anything i need to do prepair myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
What a horrible attitude about education!

Read SCUBA Diving by Dennis Graver. It's the best text on diving currently available.

oops.. my remark looks a bit out of context there. It was more about reading off the board before the course, not books (responding to suggestion posted prior).. lots of debates here that would likely be confusing to someone starting out & having to follow an agencies practices. i.e. no sense giving their instructor a hard time about wearing a snorkel :wink:

if it is a PADI course get the crew pack and dvd/video.Start watching the video and read the book,get familiar with the terminology and terms..come prepared to class with knowledge reviews completed as well as you can..If all my students did as told, teaching a clas would move so much easier..

oly5050user:
if it is a PADI course get the crew pack and dvd/video.Start watching the video and read the book,get familiar with the terminology and terms..come prepared to class with knowledge reviews completed as well as you can..If all my students did as told, teaching a clas would move so much easier..
I would have to agree. My daughter & I took the class last year. I bought the crew pack about 1 month prior to class, we both read thru the book once & then we read it thru a second time as we did the chapter reviews. I feel that it worked out very well.

SSI has something similar. You watch the content on a DVD, read it in a book, then review it in class.

Covering the material 3 times, using different delivery methods. This isstate of the art in training techniques. Some people are auditory learners, others are visual learners and others a social learners.

Which ever method works best for you is covered. Repitition is good, and different methods keep it interesting.

You should receive you OW manual, slates etc before you start the course. The manual is all you need for now so just read it,mark any points you dont understand and clear them with the instructor. Make sure you are fairly fit and can swim 200 metres, tred water for 10 mins (i think). dont worry about it though. All good fun

I'd like to chime in and agree that you probably want to start preparing physically, if you are not already pretty active. I had not swum in years, and it took a couple weeks to be able to comfortably swim 300 yards. You'll enjoy the class more.

You'll also get more comfortable in the water, which is pretty important, as you'll find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom