Is there competition between NAUI certified divers and PADI certified divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DueceFire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
About a week ago, me and a buddy went to Windy Point at Lake Travis in Austin for the day to do some diving (obviously).

While we were setting up our gear a fellow wearing a dry suit walks by and introduces himself as a NAUI DM with the UT diving class and asked what class we are with. (there were probably about 3 classes in the park at that time)

We said, "Oh, were just here diving. We're not in a class."

He replies, "so whats this for?" pointing to our EZ UP. My buddy says, "It's just for shade, we're planning on three dives so were going to take long SI"

Then he asked, "What dive shop are yall out of?"

Me and my buddy kinda looked at each other wondering what he was talking about because we didn't consider ourselves to be "out of a dive shop". So I answer, "well were from the San Antonio area."

He replies,"OH! Duggan diving?" and my buddy says,"yea we go there sometimes and It's where we got out certs."

NAUI DM says, "Oh they have a great NAUI program over there!!"

I say,"Yea, but they teach both NAUI and PADI. As a matter of fact he and I are both PADI certified"

He replies, "Oh, okay" fluffs his feathers and walks away with an attitude.

My buddy and I were kind of dumbfounded as we wern't real sure why he had an attitude after finding out we were PADI certified.

So, Is there some kind of resistance we don't know about between NAUI and PADI divers?

Sounds like this guy has self-worth issues.

All the best, James

I think I know who you met. :shakehead:

Don't worry, it's not all NAUI divers. Just him.

He's slightly (in)famous in the local area.

I won't apologize for him, since it's not my place and I don't roll that way, but trust me when I say, your experience is not unusual.

(And, he's reportedly a LOT better now then he used to be. Chew on THAT for a minute or two.) :shakehead:

There shouldn't be, but some people in this world are in "their own little world". I am NAUI certified for open water but i have TDI for nitrox. i guess i am a scuba faux paus.

I won't apologize for him, since it's not my place and I don't roll that way, but trust me when I say, your experience is not unusual.

(And, he's reportedly a LOT better now then he used to be. Chew on THAT for a minute or two.) :shakehead:

Wow really?? So hes improved huh? HAHA he was kind of a jerk. Another thing i noticed is that he was in a dry suit teaching an OW class. All of his students were in wet suits. why wouldnt he be using the same gear? I would expect my leader to lead by example and don the same equipment if he were teaching me how to use mine.. But maybe thats just me...

I have certifications from PADI, NAUI, TDI and NSS-CDS. I frequently get into heated arguments with myself over which organization is better. This particular NAUI DM seems to be quite the tool.

Im pretty sure we called him that a few times. When he walked away, he didnt sit very far from us. Im pretty sure he overheard us talking about him.

nevertheless, we didnt care and kept making fun.

So, Is there some kind of resistance we don't know about between NAUI and PADI divers?

Not that I'm aware of ... but some folks will make a competition out of anything.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another thing i noticed is that he was in a dry suit teaching an OW class. All of his students were in wet suits. why wouldnt he be using the same gear?

We wear drysuits to teach wetsuit-clad students. I don't think it's unreasonable. We tend to end up spending much more time in the water than any individual student does. It's also really important that we remain alert and physically capable during the entire dive day. (It's also true that neither of us OWNS a wetsuit suitable for Puget Sound.) I'd rather teach the students in dry suits, but not all of them want to pony up the extra money to do that.

I was thinking about the original question -- with the exception of their tech or cave diving certs, I have no idea WHAT agency certified most of my dive buddies.

About a week ago, me and a buddy went to Windy Point at Lake Travis in Austin for the day to do some diving (obviously).

While we were setting up our gear a fellow wearing a dry suit walks by and introduces himself as a NAUI DM with the UT diving class and asked what class we are with. (there were probably about 3 classes in the park at that time)

We said, "Oh, were just here diving. We're not in a class."

He replies, "so whats this for?" pointing to our EZ UP. My buddy says, "It's just for shade, we're planning on three dives so were going to take long SI"

Then he asked, "What dive shop are yall out of?"

Me and my buddy kinda looked at each other wondering what he was talking about because we didn't consider ourselves to be "out of a dive shop". So I answer, "well were from the San Antonio area."

He replies,"OH! Duggan diving?" and my buddy says,"yea we go there sometimes and It's where we got out certs."

NAUI DM says, "Oh they have a great NAUI program over there!!"

I say,"Yea, but they teach both NAUI and PADI. As a matter of fact he and I are both PADI certified"

He replies, "Oh, okay" fluffs his feathers and walks away with an attitude.

My buddy and I were kind of dumbfounded as we wern't real sure why he had an attitude after finding out we were PADI certified.

I know exactly who you are talking about and he is very annoying. He has made a name for himself every place he has gone. Texas, Florida, California, Cozumel; he is plague that can not be cured. The best thing you can do is ignore him, and he will leave.

I have certifications from PADI, NAUI, TDI and NSS-CDS. I frequently get into heated arguments with myself over which organization is better. This particular NAUI DM seems to be quite the tool.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

A lot is over doing it, maybe just little, but he is still annoying.

Wow really?? So hes improved huh? HAHA he was kind of a jerk. Another thing i noticed is that he was in a dry suit teaching an OW class. All of his students were in wet suits. why wouldnt he be using the same gear? I would expect my leader to lead by example and don the same equipment if he were teaching me how to use mine.. But maybe thats just me...

Last weekend he was out at Travis in his drysuit, and he was beet red. If you were Central Texas last weekend, you know it was hot, and my group of friends were out there for at least 3 hours. He never unzipped his drysuit. When I was leaving Windy Point, I was thinking to myself, "in a little bit the instructor, is going to have to provide medical assistance to his DM, because just passed out from a heat stroke."

Im pretty sure we called him that a few times. When he walked away, he didnt sit very far from us. Im pretty sure he overheard us talking about him.

nevertheless, we didnt care and kept making fun.

You might be surprised, he is pretty clueless when it comes to people around him, but I will give him credit, he is book smart tho.

This particular person is on Scubaboard, and he goes by RAKPIX.

Back
Top Bottom