Is this a BAD AIR experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
Last night in the pool my air seemed to taste funny. All the tanks were filled from the same tank bank (I think) I can still taste it slightly this morning. Or can a regulator "give off" tastes? should I not be able to taste anything bad this morning if the air was OK?

New to scuba so this may be just me.

Thanks. Steve

I can not say if you had 'bad air'. The operator who refilled our tanks later said that there was oil in something or other and it contaminated our air.

All eight divers on the course (last two dives of rescue course - some irony) experienced it differently.

I could feel when I breathed that the air wasn't refreshing me - as though I was breathing stale air. I couldn't believe that everyone couldn't feel it during the dive - I suspected it within 3 mins. No one believed me until everyone else was sick.

My husband who *never* gets seasick spent the surface interval in the water vomiting, some divers had headaches, one said that his mouth didn't dry out during the dive and some just felt sick. My husband still had effects from it days later.

Ask your instructor about it so he/she can either ease your fears or look into the problem.

Steve, one thing that you might add to this tread would be whether the tank was steel or alum and what (in the ballpark) the taste...well...tasted like.

DId you smell the air from your tank directly from the valve? I had a friend who got bad air once and you could smell the oil in it.

It could just be your reg too. The mouth piece that came with my apek taste like...gee how do I put this.....you know that new car smell?.....now just image the taste that would come with it.

Back
Top Bottom