Is this a rip-off ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the eddy current check is really for older aluminum tanks, And really for the bad alloy tanks.... I don't know of any of the good alloy tanks having any real troubles... I don't mind paying for a eddy test with the hydro... But don't see the need on a tank that's 2-3 years old...

Our tank guy occasionally finds aluminum tanks that fail due to bad threads, and that aren't old. However the short story is that unless you own your own compressor, you're stuck with whatever the place the owns the compressor requires.

The only way to skip the VIP and/or hydro is if you fill your own tanks.

flots.

Our tank guy occasionally finds aluminum tanks that fail due to bad threads, and that aren't old. However the short story is that unless you own your own compressor, you're stuck with whatever the place the owns the compressor requires.

The only way to skip the VIP and/or hydro is if you fill your own tanks.

flots.

That works fine until you run into a dive op that will not allow such tanks aboard their boat.

That works fine until you run into a dive op that will not allow such tanks aboard their boat.

Can't say that I blame them, although the biggest risk of explosion is when filling.

I'm not sure what all the hate is over VIPs. Threads sometimes become corroded or damaged. I certainly wouldn't want to be filling a tank with enough energy to blow out the wall of the dive shop and kill the fill station operator without some assurance that the tank was safe.

flots.

Can't say that I blame them, although the biggest risk of explosion is when filling.

I'm not sure what all the hate is over VIPs. Threads sometimes become corroded or damaged. I certainly wouldn't want to be filling a tank with enough energy to blow out the wall of the dive shop and kill the fill station operator without some assurance that the tank was safe.

flots.

Can you find any incidents of tank explosion with 6061 aluminum tanks that did contain more than 50% O2?

Can you find any incidents of tank explosion with 6061 aluminum tanks that did contain more than 50% O2?

Not off the top of my head, but it's not especially relevant either. An explosion is a low probability event, with an infinite cost for anybody nearby.

When I'm working the fill station, I'm not about to fill *anything* that the shop's tank guy hasn't inspected for mechanical integrity, regardless of alloy. Explosions are rare, but not something I plan on being involved with.

If a customer objects to this policy, they can find somewhere else to get the tank filled.

flots.

Back
Top Bottom