Is this bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, OK -- I give. I won't use "every" on this board again. :wink: I guess that's what I get for listening to the rumor mill, what with my "vast experience" and all. Anyway, I guess I can see why comfort level and experience would allow someone to use less air. My instructor definitely used less air than the rest of us during our OW and subsequent dives.

Shellim, the only thing in scuba I've done right from the beginning is breathe :) Some of us just fall into an efficient breathing pattern easily; others really have to work on it.

As long as you are breathing steadily and regularly, using that little gas is a great advantage. My husband and I would not have seen the humpbacked whale off Lanai had we not been the last ones in the water, because we still had gas.

The last dive I did, I used 30 cft of gas and my very skilled and experienced buddy used 80. He has to carry great big heavy tanks around, and I don't :D

Thank you all for the info. and encouragement. I won't worry about it as long as i am breathing! I am small so I guess that could contribute

Just my Two Cents.

1) Equipment Issues I doubt it. Shelli is using maybe at the most two month old Computer.

2) Does anyone belive that height and weight could be a factor?

3) I will admit I skip breath standing on dirt. That means I skip breath while diving. Now I make my self more aware NOT to skip breath while acsent.

I honestly belive that 2 and 3 could be factors in this, but we will see on saturday.:D

Speaking as someone who's never even put on scuba gear (YET!!, getting close though) I would say it makes perfect sense that the size of the person can play largely into it. I look at the body like a car, big cars take more gas (in general) to run then little cars do (in general). Of course there are differences, but I would guess 'normally' a little lady / feller is going to usea decent amount less then a larger lady / feller.

I think women use less gas under water because of the amount of "off gassing" they do on the surface. Between nagging at their husbands, boyfriends, etc; talking on cell phones; yapping amongst them selves; and other forms of "off gassing". Therefore when underwater and unable to perform this function that their body has become so used to, the body is still creating excess air for the females to use that it requires less air to operate in silent mode. :mooner: Sort of like how a dragon's body is able to produce the flames I can see will be coming my way. :D

Just my (chauvinistic) .02.... :rofl3:

chauvinistic Doesn't even begin to say enough!

sEANx32:
I think women use less gas under water because of the amount of "off gassing" they do on the surface. Between nagging at their husbands, boyfriends, etc; talking on cell phones; yapping amongst them selves; and other forms of "off gassing". Therefore when underwater and unable to perform this function that their body has become so used to, the body is still creating excess air for the females to use that it requires less air to operate in silent mode. :mooner: Sort of like how a dragon's body is able to produce the flames I can see will be coming my way. :D

Just my (chauvinistic) .02.... :rofl3:

:hai:

The average woman's body is mechanically more efficient than a man's and gets more energy output per volume of oxygen consumed.

Took me about 40 dives to get reasonably close to my wife's better O2 consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom