Is this the average diver?

Is this the average diver?

• Yes

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 143 94.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
According to my scientific research, the average diver, at least on SB, dives with a back plate and wing, a long hose primary regulator and a bungeed backup, a non-AI computer with a SPG, and has an average RMV of 0.4-0.59 cubic feet/minute (11.3-16.7 liters/min)

Does this describe the average diver you see in your diving?

How do you dive, part 2?
upload_2020-5-24_9-27-19.png

Regulator configuration for recreational diving
upload_2020-5-24_9-28-42.png

How do you dive?
upload_2020-5-24_9-29-59.png

Average Gas Consumption
upload_2020-5-24_9-31-26.png

If you have not voted in any of the previous polls, consider doing so :)

Average diver as opposed to person who knows how to dive? It’s like average runner versus person who can run.

That's very SB-centric, and not at all indicative of your average diver.

IMO

Not at all.

Out of all the people I regularly dive with, both local in NE as well as on many trips organised all over the world by my LDS I am considered a bit strange. Having a bp/w, shearwater and 42" primary is looked at as weird in these circles. I am an oddity in SB circles because I have an octo/inflator and I am going to die because of it.

I will also add at most resorts I have been to around the Caribbean the most common set-up is 50/50 short hose primary/, longer second reg set-up vs octo inflator. Traditional BC's are overwhelmingly the norm.

Most divers I have come across in my first year of diving never heard of a backplate and wing. On one fun dive with a different dive shop, the owners/divemaster said something along the line as "someone sold you high priced crap." I once had a diver say, "scubaboard ruined me." :) All that said, on our first fun dive we did with our LDS, all the divers wore a backplate and wing except my wife (working on that). The divemaster/shop manager typically dives a halcyon backplate and wing when not teaching recreation classes. The other guys were all PADI tec students.

As far as I am concerned, I did answer 'yes' but was also tempted to answer 'no', let me explain why : depending on the kind of dive, and on the place where I'm diving, I use the equipment you described, or not. Have you ever try to stash a 3.5 kilos back plate, and a dry suit, in your suit case, when flying abroad, for example ? :D

Absolutely not.

It all depends on area and group. For me here on Bonaire:

At least 90% of the divers uses the "traditional open water" setup. Short primary, bit longer octo hose. Standard BCD.

9% uses a BP/W or wing-style BCD. Maybe 1% with longhose primary?

Going back home to the Netherlands, in the cold water, I think it's more 60/40 to 80/20%

That's not research, that's my guess looking around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom