Is This the End of Worthington Steel Cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking

Contributor
Reaction score
Watching the DOT's website, I see no applications from Worthington or Norris, who bought Worthington's machinery, as to creating a replacement for XS's/SP's X series line of tanks. Is this the end for a competing line of tanks, and galvanized at that, to Faber?

Looks like DOT-SP 14157 runs out in February 2015. Any guesses whether or not it will be renewed, or will we all have to go in and have our cylinders hydro'd again in January to keep them for another 5 years?

Worthington is a class company. I am confident they will renew the exemption. I am not out to start a panic, just trying to figure out where the market is going.

My LDS called XS Scuba last week and was told that the XS Scuba Steel Tanks were not going to be available after their supply ran out.
The XS Scuba Tanks will be from Italy. I hope white is your favorite color. Faber Tanks. I dive Sidemount and like the negative Worthington Tanks. I dive the LP 85's and own 2 sets. I am investing in more LP 85's while still available.
My LDS increased the price on his inventory that are new and raised his price on used Worthington Tanks.
I hope XS Scuba is wrong and Norris will continue to make the Scuba Tanks. I really don't think that Norris will continue Scuba Tanks since it is such a low percentage of their market.

I am confident that Worthington will renew the permits. If permits do not get renewed the cylinders are no longer permitted to be used and they would not want that bad publicity in the news.

If Norris gets back into the scuba tank business (they got out of it once already), I would estimate early to mid 2015 before they can get them into the market at the earliest.
It takes time to remove the equipment from Ontario and then transport and re install at their factory. then they need to get approval from DOT in the US and TC in Canada to make cylinders for both counties. When you add having to deal with government agencies from more than one country you can bet it will take some time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom