Is Uwatec's SmartCom a problem child?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When my smartcom needed battery replaced the turn around was less than two weeks. Not bad I say and, it was totally free.

I had my wrist unit suddenly go battery dead after about 40 dives... they took about a month to fix, with a note that the unit had gotten out of calibration (?) and had been running "on" for some time, using up the battery. The replacement has been great.

I had my wrist unit suddenly go battery dead after about 40 dives... they took about a month to fix, with a note that the unit had gotten out of calibration (?) and had been running "on" for some time, using up the battery. The replacement has been great.
I suspect mine had a similar problem, too. I’d occasionally hear it beeping in my gear bag after I'd packed up my stuff. Sometimes it would be beeping even after I got home a couple of hours later. This happened more frequently as it aged. I was half expecting to learn mine had failed because the battery went kaput (even though it showed > 80% battery remaining last time I’d checked it) but they replaced the unit outright.

I suspect mine had a similar problem, too. I’d occasionally hear it beeping in my gear bag after I'd packed up my stuff. Sometimes it would be beeping even after I got home a couple of hours later. This happened more frequently as it aged. I was half expecting to learn mine had failed because the battery went kaput (even though it showed > 80% battery remaining last time I’d checked it) but they replaced the unit outright.

The beeping in the gearbag could be an indication of operator error. If the resistance conacts are grounded accross something like a wet wetsuit, that will keep turning the unit on and/or cycling it thru modes. This will decrease battery life. Dry the unit and stick it into it's bag before stowing it.

The beeping in the gearbag could be an indication of operator error. If the resistance conacts are grounded accross something like a wet wetsuit, that will keep turning the unit on and/or cycling it thru modes. This will decrease battery life. Dry the unit and stick it into it's bag before stowing it.
I considered that possibility (there is an admonition in the destructions that come with the hood not to put it on the console while it still is wet). If it was OE, I was awfully consistent at making it.

That Scubapro replaced a near $1000USD computer outright is a clear indication of problems with the device itself. That doesn’t exonerate me but it is grounds for plausible deniability.

Considering the contacts typically were so obstinate between dives, I found it especially ironic that it would start beeping when I put it in the bag (a mesh bag, BTW, and the reg always went on top). I’ve decided that if the replacement exhibits the same annoying problem, I’m going to junk the SmartCom in favor of something with mechanical buttons.

I just upgraded from the smart com to the galileo at the first of this year.

With regard to the beeping in the bag, I do mostly shore dives, and at the end of the dive just kind of haphazardly throw everything into the back of the suv then bring it home to rinse. I would say 30 to 50% of the time the contacts are hitting something and my smart com beeped all the way home. Fortunately I'm only about 15 minutes away from several of my favorite dive sites so that doesn't amount to a big power drain.

Best thing to do to prevent this is towel the unit dry and stick it in its bag.

well Ive seen both sides of this debate ...

I've been diving with the smart com for about 3 years (130 odd dives average time 60 mins ... so it has had a decent workout) and not had a problem.

About a year ago bought my wife a smartcom to replace her failed oceanic (3rd time) and it died within a couple of months ... only took a week to be replaced tho.

She has now logged around 60 dives on the new one with no problems

After a long dive weekend.. where my transmitter failed for the second time... I had the chance to compare several units... what is very noticable is that the sensitivity of the contacts varies tremendously. Mine, for the most part, will short out with even the slightest amount of saltwater film on it... I have to rinse, dry and then can change setting... don't do that, and it will not respond... The others I tried could be set while still damp.

I suspect there are good ones and bad ones... and I have one of the losers.

I am now right at the point where the battery went from 93% to zero the next day....will be interested to see if it does the same on the next dives.

I don't get 50 dives out of the batteries in the transponder, so this latest could be just batteries... as the inside of the transponder is dry.

I know several divers that have used them for years, without any issues.. so my guess is that some suck.. others don't.

My new, replacement SmartCom has failed after a total of two dives (the ol' error E7). I figure that's newsworthy in its own right so I'm starting a new thread, which I'll link back to this one.

Man,.......... there definately seems to be a pattern of problems with the smart com. My work bought myself and my partner SmartCom's several months ago and we both have around 50+ dives on them so far and havent had any problems. Luckily, it will be the company's dime used to repair or replace them if they do fail. After reading all of the problems with the smartcom's I decided to buy my son one of the Aeris Atmos AI computers. I havent had a chance to use it yet but I have read good things about it.

shaggy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom