Isla Holbox - whale shark experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amadeus023

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone,

Here we are ready to begin our journey to experience the "once-in-lifetime" opportunity - to see and swim with whale sharks on Isla Holbox, pronounced "HOLE-BOSH". Isla Holbox is a small protected island only 7 miles long & 1 mile wide. Home to 1500 beautiful people who are mainly fishermen, Holbox was founded by Pirates who inter-married with the Mayan locals.

The whale shark is the largest fish on earth so you can imagine how intimidating this could be. We are posing with "Whale Shark Daddy" (Rodrigo) and his wife. I am in the back row wearing one of my do-rag's standing next to my divebuddy, Steve (scubadds49), who is also the one who takes all of the wonderful photos that you see from me. The other two ladies were in our group and they are world travelers from Sante Fe, New Mexico. Steve and I spent two days swimming with the whale sharks after spending three days diving in Cozumel.

L1000348.JPG

Here we are on the boat getting ready to go out to sea. We had 10 people on the boat our first day out and only 8 the second day.

L1000351.JPG

We were greeted by this friendly fellow on our first day out. Our boat pulled up along side him and he was at the surface eating his plankton.

L1000355.JPG

Day #1 went rather well for me because I never came too close to one of these creatures. The second day was another story. Our first turn in the water I went to put my head down to locate the whale shark and realized that I could almost touch it. This was way too close for my comfort and I freaked out and tried to turn to swim in the opposite direction. As a result I ended up knocking Steve's camera out of his hands and it went plunging to the depths below. Steve immediately screamed and then went diving to rescue his camera. Fortunately for me, he rescued his camera. I then found myself hanging onto the divemaster and screaming that we had to get away because the shark was right there - he was too close! The people back on the boat were rather amused by all of this.

Our second swim with a whale shark ended up with me again freaking out because when I finally located the whale shark I realized he was headed straight toward me and again I swam to get away. The divemaster asked me if I was okay and what was wrong. I told him that I saw the size of his head and his mouth and he was heading straight towards me. He asked if I wanted to swim to see him again and I said "no" I have seen enough of him. Let Steve go after him because it is more important that he see him than me. I can't tell you how scary it is when you realize the size of one of these creatures.

Below is the view that I saw heading up towards me. I did not want him to suck me into his mouth only to realize that I was not plankton and then have him spit me out - yuk! Our divemaster was accidentally hit by the tail of one of these creatures last year trying to pull a tourist away and he ended up getting his jaw broken. Steve was obviously not frightened because he managed to photograph him - not me! I ran (swam) as fast as I could.

IMG_0003.JPG

The island was rather primitive. No cars - only tractor carts to get around on the island because the roads are all made of sand. The restaurants are not enclosed so you dine with the bugs while they dine on you. I have never had to take a cold shower before. We had salamanders crawling on our ceiling at night. I was so happy to get home after those two days. I enjoyed myself, but I am certainly not interested in living like that permanently.

One of my fondest memories is of eating a whole fried fish at a shack (hut) on the beach. It was a bar that also served fried fish and cerviche. Steve had the cerviche and I was the brave soul to try the fish. They had been freshly caught that morning and you could pick your fish from the cooler. I selected a huge grouper for my dining pleasure. It was served with pico de gallo, avocado slices and fresh lime juice. It was so delicious. They served it on grapefruit tree leaves. The presentation was so beautiful. I had so much fun with the "hut" people (as my mom calls them). Here is a photo of me in the "kitchen" with the chef:

L1000374.JPG

You can see more photos from my trip in my photo gallery.

Here are some website links if you wish to read more:

Rodrigo's website is http://holboxwhalesharktours.com
http://bayareadivers.org/dive-holbox-mexico-whale-sharks%2008-10-06.htm
http://bayareadivers.org/dive-holbox-mexico-08-09-06.htm

Please submit Whale Shark pics to these guys - Ecocean.
area.jpg

This is the area they really want photos of.
Cheers.

Originally posted by docmartin - how many did your group see?
We saw several whale sharks the first day - at least 6 or 7, but we had to wait long periods of time in between swims because there were so many other boats out. In Holbox they only allow two swimmers at a time to be in the water with the whale sharks. We had 10 people on the boat and we each had two swims with a whale shark. We had to resort to sharing a shark with another boat so there was a lot of time that elapsed between swims.

The second day we only saw about 3-4. We had only 8 people on our boat and each person again had only two swims with a whale shark. We originally had our own shark but he was such a fast swimmer that we asked the captain to find us another shark that was old and slow. Unfortunately, we never found another shark of our own after that. The real key is to get on a boat going out early - the earlier the better!

Originally posted by RonFrank
Very cool. And the people on the boat are no longer the only ones amused at your swimming away from the Whale Sharks!
05.gif
I am so embarassed!:embarassed:

Glad to hear about your trip. We will be there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they can find some old and slow whalesharks for us to hang around with.

Originally posted by georoc01 - Hopefully they can find some old and slow whalesharks for us to hang around with.
I hope for your sake they do because some of them can swim so fast. Other people on our boat lucked out with sharks that would stay at the surface and just relax. My divebuddy and I always seemed to get the swimmers. I was so exhausted trying to keep up with them. You have to hit the water swimming, but you want to make sure you don't collide with them. It is so neat to see the small fish that hang on to the whale sharks while they are cruising through the water too. They move so effortlessly through the water and yet we are kicking like fools to keep up with them or away from them (in my case) - LOL!
:sharkattack:

Im going to visit these big fish next saturday if everything goes as planned. Im SO looking forward to it. I will however go to Isla Contoy and not Holbox. Hope theire older and slower there :p

Tigerman:
Im going to visit these big fish next saturday if everything goes as planned. Im SO looking forward to it. I will however go to Isla Contoy and not Holbox. Hope theire older and slower there :p
i wonder if there are fewer boats to "compete" with when you go to isla contoy. let us know. i'll be there in four weeks.

Back
Top Bottom