Issue with E-PL3 and new +5 diopter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you use point , middle or full frame measuring ? single focus or constant focus? sorry maybe it sounds stupid. but it could be a issue.

sometime i have the same problem with my 50mm f 2.0 macro. i guess its better to shot manuel.

i shot with singel focus and point measuring.

I tried to use a new +5 diopter with my E-PL3 with the kit 14-42mm lens diving this weekend but the camera was having a bitch of a time locking focus when completely zoomed in, which means I have to back off a bit, which seems to defeat the purpose. I could change the camera setting so it will take a shot with out without the lock, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions

Jak,

I have an E-PL3 and using either Inon UCL165 or Subsee +10. Focusing with the +10 can be hard. In any event here are the choices:

1. Focus light on the subject changes the behavior dramatically

2. When shooting macro, I switch the focus to MF (in the S-AF, C-AF, MF, etc. choice). I pre set my camera so that in MF mode the AEL/AFL does focus as in S-AF and locks it (Custom -> Button/Dial -> AEL/AFL -> MF -> mode3). This means that I focus with the AEL/AFL button (which I set to the "Record" button: Custom -> Button/Dial ->Button Function -> () Function -> AEL/AFL ). Once I have focus, I can change the framing and there is no hunting once I press the shutter. This also allows to move back and forth as several people suggested.

I would suggest trying this on land in an environment that allows you to experience the whole thing without the added task load of diving.

-Nir

I have both the macro lights of the Oly case on and I use a Sola 1200 as a video/focus light. While a lot of people have been critical of the built in lights, they actually provide just enough light for the camera to detect in many low light situations, but I use the Sola most of the time anyways.

The conf for manual focusing sounds like a good idea. I will give that a shot.

Jak,

I have an E-PL3 and using either Inon UCL165 or Subsee +10. Focusing with the +10 can be hard. In any event here are the choices:

1. Focus light on the subject changes the behavior dramatically

2. When shooting macro, I switch the focus to MF (in the S-AF, C-AF, MF, etc. choice). I pre set my camera so that in MF mode the AEL/AFL does focus as in S-AF and locks it (Custom -> Button/Dial -> AEL/AFL -> MF -> mode3). This means that I focus with the AEL/AFL button (which I set to the "Record" button: Custom -> Button/Dial ->Button Function -> () Function -> AEL/AFL ). Once I have focus, I can change the framing and there is no hunting once I press the shutter. This also allows to move back and forth as several people suggested.

I would suggest trying this on land in an environment that allows you to experience the whole thing without the added task load of diving.

-Nir

Hi Jak
If you know someone with a Series I 14-42mm lens, give this a try.
I used the series II with my EPL2 and when I used a friends Series I, I found it focused considerably closer, this was most evident when I was using a x6 wet lens.
They are also pretty cheap now (New = $179)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom